Filfre - The thing it got broke (or: bug report)

When I unzipped filfre I found it was unplayable for me, as once the
scrollbar was in use every new was scrolled to the very top, leaving me
with a big white screen.

The next day, I decided to give another try, but now I can't get past
the intro screen on any game. It brings up an empty Compass window and
then I have to Task Manager it closed.

Where are the settings stored? If I can delete that and start fresh, I
think it'll work, but I can't find the file.

I should mention that this computer has 64m RAM and runs on Win 98 FE.

JohnnyMrNinja wrote:
> When I unzipped filfre I found it was unplayable for me, as once the
> scrollbar was in use every new was scrolled to the very top, leaving me
> with a big white screen.
>
> The next day, I decided to give another try, but now I can't get past
> the intro screen on any game. It brings up an empty Compass window and
> then I have to Task Manager it closed.
>
> Where are the settings stored? If I can delete that and start fresh, I
> think it'll work, but I can't find the file.

I can't imagine how your settings could have gotten foobared enough to
cause that behavior. However, they are stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Jimmy Maher\Filfre. Just delete that key
with RegEdit for a clean slate.

> I should mention that this computer has 64m RAM and runs on Win 98 FE.

That COULD concievably be a problem. With such an old OS, you might not
have the latest (version 3.0) RichEdit libraries. If it still doesn't
work for you, see if you can find the latest on Microsoft's site.

Or, better yet, just let me know and I can send you the DLL. I believe
it's only ~300K, and if you don't want to mess with your computer's
delicate balance for the sake of my buggy beta interpreter you can just
drop it in the same directory as Filfre. Filfre will find it there.

I actually thought about including it with Filfre, but decided that
(firstly) the vast majority would already have it and (secondly and more
importantly) distributing it in that fashion is probably illegal... even
though Microsoft gives it away for free.

Thanks,
Jimmy