Do I have a malware infection? What else should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mace200200

Honorable
Yesterday I ran windows update and instantly got an error 80100xxx (I can't remember the whole thing) but I did look it up and found out it was caused by malware so I downloaded the "Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" from microsofts website ran the scan and it turned up nothing. So I tried Windows update again and it worked just like it should and installed the 4 or 5 updates after a reboot. Then I decided to run a full scan with malewarebytes, and nothing turned up (I kind of wished something would have so I could delete it and feel better), ran a scan with microsoft security essentials and still nothing came up.

Windows update has been funny with me in the past, and in between the last time I used windows update, and the time I used it yesterday malwarebytes did pick up a few different malware programs (funmod, not to terrible) which of course I had deleted and quarentined, could this have thrown windows update off? I'll also mention that nothing strange has been happening lately either, my CPU and GPU idel normally, and my internet hasn't been any slower than it usually is (my router is kind of broken and dying) except today when I turned on my computer Java wanted me to certify something which I told it no, but I also updated that as well yesterday to version 7.

mace200200

Honorable
I will scan with Norton tommorow, I get nervous having to uninstall my MSE to try something else though is there a way I can run Norton and at least keep MSE installed, I think like disabling it after downloading Norton and before installing it.

Oh yes and something else happened just now, windows update had an update for MSE and it installed just like normal, first shot. Of course this is an optional update, not sure if that would be of any significance involving that malware error.

nna2

Distinguished
malawarebytes has never done me wrong, it's caught viruses that i knew i had, and MSE still couldnt manage to find, but since you have run 2 AV scanners, and have come up clean i doubt you have a virus

mace200200

Honorable
So i downloaded, installed, updated, and ran a full scan with Norton. Nothing too interesting showed up it just found 3 tracking cookies that it erased for me.

I'd think that the 30 day trial from them would give you their full protection that the paid version would, assuming this is the case I'm gonna keep using it for the 30 day trial, we used to use it in the past but it made our already slow computer even slower so we switched to AVG at the time. I hear it doesn't slow down your computer so much any more so I'd like to test it for myself and maybe ask for the multipack for all my systems for christmas or something if I really like it.

mace200200

Honorable
Well so far I dig the Norton trial, I liked it a lot in the past and now it doesn't take much of a performance hit at all. I researched different antiviruses and this one seems to be agreed upon as the third or second best, behind Bitdefender, and in some tests Kaspersky. If I still like it at the end of my trial I'll think about buying it after asking about it on here of course.

Thanks for the help, guess now all I can do is wait for the next windows update and see if I get another malware "error".

Status
Not open for further replies.