Sign in with
Your question

Best IT Support Company

Last response: in Business Computing
February 9, 2012 12:00:05 PM

Hello,

Im new to this side of Tom's Hardware but I hope you might be able to help me. Iv'e just started working at a new job and imidiatly after starting, I realizing how badly the company I work for has been treated. So after many arguments with them the CEO decided that he had enough and we are now looking for a new company to manage our network and such.

We are starting to work with both Mac's and PC's and with hope change to be all mac. My question to you is if you have any ideas of companies that can do both?

Thanks again,
Light

More about : support company

February 9, 2012 12:06:16 PM

What country and what part of that country are you in?
February 9, 2012 12:16:15 PM

Sorry about that, I was planning on putting that in the post but completely forgot...

I live in Pittsburgh PA USA
Related resources
February 9, 2012 12:31:19 PM

Fujitsu
February 9, 2012 12:39:50 PM

Intergraph, Dell-Perot
February 11, 2012 3:37:35 AM

HP not dell. Dell outsources to India. I've worked for several companies, HP is very Professional.
February 12, 2012 5:57:43 AM

ilikegirls said:
Hello,

Im new to this side of Tom's Hardware but I hope you might be able to help me. Iv'e just started working at a new job and imidiatly after starting, I realizing how badly the company I work for has been treated. So after many arguments with them the CEO decided that he had enough and we are now looking for a new company to manage our network and such.

We are starting to work with both Mac's and PC's and with hope change to be all mac. My question to you is if you have any ideas of companies that can do both?

Thanks again,
Light

Can you be a bit more specific? I have a potential company in your area, but I'd need more details?

1. What does your company do?
2. How many employees/PC's and servers? Type? What are your core Applications?
3. You indicated the company has started to work with both Macs and PC's and hope to change over to all Macs. Why? If this change has been prompted by the last company who supported you and you are moving to Macs thinking they are easier to manage, that is not a good reason. You seem to have done the right thing and brought the matter to the attention of the CEO and now he or she is willing to make a move. (My question on Macs is not an inherent dislike of Apple, I do use an iPhone. :)  However, I have seen many company move to Macs simply becasuse they have no one to support their PC's then gets ticked off since they paid so much and still can't manage their network and "such."
4. Lastly, what does "and such" mean? What problems is the company having with whomever supports you besides managing your network (which in and of itself can mean much, but I have an idea on that end, more interested in the "at such."

Nice going, come in to a new job and try to fix things....

February 15, 2012 11:10:33 AM

ilikegirls said:
Hello,

OK, so what do you mean by this?

Are you expecting some external company to come in and manage all your IT needs, provide end user support, and apparently "manage your network" [whatever that precisely means]? That's kinda what it sounds like, and it can be done, but it's hellaciously expensive, and may be cheaper for you guys to hire a desktop support guy to help the other employees with their "how do I do [blah]"/"my PC is crashing" issues, and a systems administrator to "manage your network and such." <shudder>

Of course that would depend on your specific IT needs, company size, and budget for IT support, and it sounds a lot to me like maybe your company isn't being mistreated, so much as being unreasonable in their expectations of what to expect from "support." It really sounds like what you're expecting is something that needs a full time position or two, and whether you hire an additional employee to cover that role or get a consulting company to provide someone to do it (at consultant rates, ouch), need another person. ~"Support all our IT stuff and such" isn't really a valid request, you can either refine the request or pay outrageous rates for an outrageous and unreasonable request.

(And like ESA Group said, Macs might be easier to use, but they are much more difficult and expensive to manage and support, so that's something you and your company will need to be aware of if you go in that direction.)
!