NetBEUI and MS Networking Equipment

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Is it possible to use NetBEUI to share printers and files between a
Laptop(MN720) and a Desktop(wired to MN700). Both Laptop and Desktop are
running Windows XP Home. (Yes I know that Microsoft doesn't support this
protocol any more.)

I am able to share files and printers between the laptop and desktop this
way using a wired connection, but the two computers don't see each other
when using the wireless connection. The computer browser is running on both
computers. TCP/IP works ok on both computers(in both wired and unwired
setups) to connect to the internet.

In addition, I can share files and printers and connect to the internet just
fine from both wired desktop and wireless laptop if I use only TCP/IP.

I would not even try NetBEUI but I can't get IPX/SPX to work at all for file
and printer sharing on this system.

Dick Kistler
9 answers Last reply
More about netbeui networking equipment
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    You should make sure to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on all computers (on the
    internal LAN interface) and let that take care of it?!


    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OxwpKnPaEHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Is it possible to use NetBEUI to share printers and files between a
    > Laptop(MN720) and a Desktop(wired to MN700). Both Laptop and Desktop are
    > running Windows XP Home. (Yes I know that Microsoft doesn't support this
    > protocol any more.)
    >
    > I am able to share files and printers between the laptop and desktop this
    > way using a wired connection, but the two computers don't see each other
    > when using the wireless connection. The computer browser is running on
    both
    > computers. TCP/IP works ok on both computers(in both wired and unwired
    > setups) to connect to the internet.
    >
    > In addition, I can share files and printers and connect to the internet
    just
    > fine from both wired desktop and wireless laptop if I use only TCP/IP.
    >
    > I would not even try NetBEUI but I can't get IPX/SPX to work at all for
    file
    > and printer sharing on this system.
    >
    > Dick Kistler
    >
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:%23KT3n%23PaEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > You should make sure to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on all computers (on
    the
    > internal LAN interface) and let that take care of it?!
    >
    Nope, no effect.

    network connections > Wireless Network Connection > disable

    Wireless Network Connection > properties > Internet Protocol TCP/IP >
    properties > WINS > Enable Netbios over TCP/IP(changed from Default) > OK >
    OK > Close

    Wireless Network Connection > enable

    on both computers-can see own computer, not the other one in My Network
    Places >Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Home

    Reboot both computers-same story as above-can see own computer, not the
    other one. Same as before trying this.

    Search for computer: can find own computer, not the other one-on both
    computers.

    Dick
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Is the firewall enabled on either of the computers?

    If so, you'll need to disable it (or at least open up the appropriate ports)
    so that you can use File Sharing

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uXz7hQQaEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > news:%23KT3n%23PaEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > You should make sure to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on all computers (on
    > the
    > > internal LAN interface) and let that take care of it?!
    > >
    > Nope, no effect.
    >
    > network connections > Wireless Network Connection > disable
    >
    > Wireless Network Connection > properties > Internet Protocol TCP/IP >
    > properties > WINS > Enable Netbios over TCP/IP(changed from Default) > OK
    >
    > OK > Close
    >
    > Wireless Network Connection > enable
    >
    > on both computers-can see own computer, not the other one in My Network
    > Places >Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Home
    >
    > Reboot both computers-same story as above-can see own computer, not the
    > other one. Same as before trying this.
    >
    > Search for computer: can find own computer, not the other one-on both
    > computers.
    >
    > Dick
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Jason Tsang wrote:
    > Is the firewall enabled on either of the computers?
    >
    > If so, you'll need to disable it (or at least open up the appropriate
    > ports) so that you can use File Sharing
    >
    >
    Firewall and Antivirus disabled on both computers.

    Repeat: 1. Can file and printer share using TCP/IP alone. Also connect to
    the internet.
    2. Can file and printer share using NetBeui for sharing and
    TCP/IP for internet connection if the computers are wired
    through basestation.. Can connect to internet from
    both computers here too.
    3. Can't file and printer share using NetBeui for sharing and
    TCP/IP for internet connection if the computers are connected
    by wireless through base station. Can connect to
    internet on both machines.
    4. Can switch network cards on the fly(using XP ability to
    stop pcmcia cards). 2 and 3 still hold when I do this.

    Doesn't seem to be related to any of the normal suspects. Firewall,
    Antivirus, Wrong computer or workgroup name, etc. Computers communicate
    with each other when wired thru basestation, but not when connected
    wirelessly through base station. As far as I
    can tell, everything is configured the same in the wired and wireless
    cases. Computers can communicate with the base station
    either wired or wireless-and thus to the internet.

    I guess the base question is whether the MN720 can communicate with anything
    other than with TCP/IP?

    Dick
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    NetBEUI can't work for the wireless because it goes through the router
    portion and not the switch portion of the MN-500 & MN-700.

    Thus NetBEUI can't go from wired to wireless because it has to go
    through the router.

    This is because NetBEUI is not a routable protocol while TCP/IP &
    IPX/SPX are routable.

    I know that IPX/SPX is a little slower then NetBEUI, but it is slightly
    faster then TCP/IP.

    Dick Kistler wrote:

    > Is it possible to use NetBEUI to share printers and files between a
    > Laptop(MN720) and a Desktop(wired to MN700). Both Laptop and Desktop are
    > running Windows XP Home. (Yes I know that Microsoft doesn't support this
    > protocol any more.)
    >
    > I am able to share files and printers between the laptop and desktop this
    > way using a wired connection, but the two computers don't see each other
    > when using the wireless connection. The computer browser is running on both
    > computers. TCP/IP works ok on both computers(in both wired and unwired
    > setups) to connect to the internet.
    >
    > In addition, I can share files and printers and connect to the internet just
    > fine from both wired desktop and wireless laptop if I use only TCP/IP.
    >
    > I would not even try NetBEUI but I can't get IPX/SPX to work at all for file
    > and printer sharing on this system.
    >
    > Dick Kistler
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    news:OkACcMVaEHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > NetBEUI can't work for the wireless because it goes through the router
    > portion and not the switch portion of the MN-500 & MN-700.
    >
    > Thus NetBEUI can't go from wired to wireless because it has to go
    > through the router.
    >
    > This is because NetBEUI is not a routable protocol while TCP/IP &
    > IPX/SPX are routable.
    >
    > I know that IPX/SPX is a little slower then NetBEUI, but it is slightly
    > faster then TCP/IP.
    >

    The only reason that I tried NetBEUI was because trying to use IPX/SPX
    was such a disaster. I could never get anything in My Network Places, not
    even the computer I was working on. Trying to change IPX/SPX options
    in the network connections > wireless network connection > properties >
    NWLink > properties crashed the properties applet, then crashed
    explorer and required a reboot. So I tried NetBEUI. At least I know
    it will work for wired connections.

    Is it normal for a basestation to not use the switch for wireless, or is
    it just a quirk of Microsoft equipment?

    Dick
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I'm not sure on other brands. To me it seems logical to connect the
    wireless directly to the router as wireless is more advanced then
    twisted pair.

    Dick Kistler wrote:
    > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > news:OkACcMVaEHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>NetBEUI can't work for the wireless because it goes through the router
    >>portion and not the switch portion of the MN-500 & MN-700.
    >>
    >>Thus NetBEUI can't go from wired to wireless because it has to go
    >>through the router.
    >>
    >>This is because NetBEUI is not a routable protocol while TCP/IP &
    >>IPX/SPX are routable.
    >>
    >>I know that IPX/SPX is a little slower then NetBEUI, but it is slightly
    >>faster then TCP/IP.
    >>
    >
    >
    > The only reason that I tried NetBEUI was because trying to use IPX/SPX
    > was such a disaster. I could never get anything in My Network Places, not
    > even the computer I was working on. Trying to change IPX/SPX options
    > in the network connections > wireless network connection > properties >
    > NWLink > properties crashed the properties applet, then crashed
    > explorer and required a reboot. So I tried NetBEUI. At least I know
    > it will work for wired connections.
    >
    > Is it normal for a basestation to not use the switch for wireless, or is
    > it just a quirk of Microsoft equipment?
    >
    > Dick
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    joker wrote:
    > I'm not sure on other brands. To me it seems logical to connect the
    > wireless directly to the router as wireless is more advanced then
    > twisted pair.
    >
    I would think that the osi layer would be more controlling than the
    complexity.
    But maybe it was.

    More likely MS only considered that TCP/IP would ever be used and
    didn't make any design concessions to NetBEUI-which is not supported
    anyhow.

    Dick
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    It's the conversion of the signal from twisted pair ethernet to wireless
    ethernet. That is technically a bridge because it is bridging two
    different types of ethernet. The wireless signal requires several chips
    if I remember correctly while the switch for only wired connections
    should only need one chip at most.

    Dick Kistler wrote:

    > joker wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not sure on other brands. To me it seems logical to connect the
    >>wireless directly to the router as wireless is more advanced then
    >>twisted pair.
    >>
    >
    > I would think that the osi layer would be more controlling than the
    > complexity.
    > But maybe it was.
    >
    > More likely MS only considered that TCP/IP would ever be used and
    > didn't make any design concessions to NetBEUI-which is not supported
    > anyhow.
    >
    > Dick
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Laptops Connection Desktops Printers Networking