compaq keyboard: set backspace key to space

The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
some specific key-combination.
Does anybody know?

Thanks

Eric

Hello Eric the best bet is to go to any local Radio Shack store and buying a
recent Compaq keyboard without this "oddball" space bar.

--
Juan Pablo Rojas
Graphic Designer - Developer

<eliong@cura.net> wrote in message
> The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
> spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
> There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
> some specific key-combination.
> Does anybody know?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

aoeuihtns

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
some specific key-combination.
Does anybody know?

Thanks

Eric
I am aware that your issue should be solved by now, but some people (like me) may come across this thread when looking for a solution for the same problem. Here is an excerpt of the keyboard's manual:

[cpp]To program the Erase-Eaze key for use in other modes, press and hold the Alt+Ctrl+Shift keys on the left side of the keyboard. Then press the left-half of the divided spacebar to cycle through the following modes:

Table 1-13. Erase-Eaze Key Modes
Mode Left-Half of Right-Half of
Divided Spacebar Divided Spacebar
A (default) Backspace Forward space
B Forward space Backspace
C Forward space Forward space
The Erase-Eaze key mode returns to the default mode (A) each time the computer is restarted.[/cpp]