[Announce]HLA Inform (version 0.1)

Paul Panks' game HLA Adventure has now been ported to Inform.
Currently in incoming/HLAinform.z5, it should be moved to
if-archive/inform/HLAinform.z5

Roger Pepitone wrote:
> Paul Panks' game HLA Adventure has now been ported to Inform.
> Currently in incoming/HLAinform.z5, it should be moved to
> if-archive/inform/HLAinform.z5

I thought someone smarter than me would respond, but nobody's
responded. This is brilliant. It's a bit buggy (but then v. 0.1 doesn't
set the bar too high) but it looks and feels the same. And I was killed
just as quickly trying to attack the Paladin. I wonder, are you
planning to update the Inform source as well as keep up with the
original's version #? Paul's already released 3.20 and I don't think
anyone's going to be able to stop him. It must be a pain to maintain
something like this.

David J. Grimshaw
Now Hiring: Cavemen (limited openings)

Changes from 3.10 to 3.20 (the current version) were pretty minor:

1. Spelling corrections and/or grammar fixes (just use Microsoft Word's
Spell Checker, to check for both grammar and spelling errors).

2. Fixed a bug with the flute (where sometimes you couldn't use it, and
sometimes you only had to be carrying the rope, and no flute, to 'play
flute').

3. Fixed an error where room #99 contained items in the shop, and
dropping items in room #99 placed items IN the shop (this was due to
the fact that when I wrote the first version of HLA Adventure in 2003,
version 1.48, it only had 95 rooms, and thus location "99" could safely
be items for the shop). When I expanded the game, I forgot about
location 99 as the "items for the shop," and placed a room #99 in the
game. hehe :)

Probably the easiest way to "update" the HLAinform to the current
version of HLA Adventure would be to correct the errors listed above.

Paul

JohnnyMrNinja wrote:
> Roger Pepitone wrote:
> > Paul Panks' game HLA Adventure has now been ported to Inform.
> > Currently in incoming/HLAinform.z5, it should be moved to
> > if-archive/inform/HLAinform.z5
>
> I thought someone smarter than me would respond, but nobody's
> responded. This is brilliant. It's a bit buggy (but then v. 0.1 doesn't
> set the bar too high) but it looks and feels the same. And I was killed
> just as quickly trying to attack the Paladin. I wonder, are you
> planning to update the Inform source as well as keep up with the
> original's version #? Paul's already released 3.20 and I don't think
> anyone's going to be able to stop him. It must be a pain to maintain
> something like this.
>

> David J. Grimshaw
> Now Hiring: Cavemen (limited openings)

I'm the person who emailed you about 2 and 3; I found them while doing
the port.

Johnny, what other bugs did you find?

Hello Roger,

I found a bug in Room#14 (where the hellhound is):

A hellhound is here, guarding the main entrance>

The ">" prompt is right after the description of the hellhound.

Also noticed:

When you fight the hellhound, it says something to the player, then
"Monster [hellhound]" is right after what the hellhound says (without a
carriage return).

That's about all I've noticed thus far. Just minor errors. Good port!

Paul

Roger Pepitone wrote:
> I'm the person who emailed you about 2 and 3; I found them while doing
> the port.
>
> Johnny, what other bugs did you find?

I din't play a whole lot of it, and it's just minor things; in the
opening Plot Introduction screen only the text and the space to the
left of it is colored (at least ind Windows Frotz 2002). The game still
says "Press any key to begin! (as long as it's enter :)" but any key
works. And some examples from the command list that don't work -

examine sword (or 'exa sword')
>exa flute
That's not a verb I recognise.

kill paladin (or 'slay paladin')
>slay paladin
That's not a verb I recognise.

score (or '?')
>?
That's not a verb I recognise.

save (or 'store')
>store
That's not a verb I recognise.

talk (or 'talk to') and 'say'.
>talk to paladin
That's not a verb I recognise.

I do find it odd that "slay" isn't already linked to kill in the
library. This one was my favorite -

drop sword (or 'put sword')
>put flute
(in the paladin)
He can't contain things.

But like I said, I haven't had a chance to try and play it through,
this is just some stuff I noticed in my initial checking-it-out. Just
minor interface stuff, not the game. The only thing that actually
bothered me was the red-on-blue of "Ported by" and some in game things,
as it's painful to read (I don't remember if it's the same in the
original).

The latest version of HLA Adventure has an advertisement for Cerveza
beer in the local tavern.

Paul

JohnnyMrNinja wrote:
> Roger Pepitone wrote:
> > I'm the person who emailed you about 2 and 3; I found them while doing
> > the port.
> >
> > Johnny, what other bugs did you find?
>
> I din't play a whole lot of it, and it's just minor things; in the
> opening Plot Introduction screen only the text and the space to the
> left of it is colored (at least ind Windows Frotz 2002). The game still
> says "Press any key to begin! (as long as it's enter :)" but any key
> works. And some examples from the command list that don't work -
>
> examine sword (or 'exa sword')
> >exa flute
> That's not a verb I recognise.
>
> kill paladin (or 'slay paladin')
> >slay paladin
> That's not a verb I recognise.
>
> score (or '?')
> >?
> That's not a verb I recognise.
>
> save (or 'store')
> >store
> That's not a verb I recognise.
>
> talk (or 'talk to') and 'say'.
> >talk to paladin
> That's not a verb I recognise.
>
> I do find it odd that "slay" isn't already linked to kill in the
> library. This one was my favorite -
>
> drop sword (or 'put sword')
> >put flute
> (in the paladin)
> He can't contain things.
>
> But like I said, I haven't had a chance to try and play it through,
> this is just some stuff I noticed in my initial checking-it-out. Just
> minor interface stuff, not the game. The only thing that actually
> bothered me was the red-on-blue of "Ported by" and some in game things,
> as it's painful to read (I don't remember if it's the same in the
> original).

Okay, I think I've got all this fixed in version 0.2, now in incoming.