Can't install 16-bit application

July 11, 2005 9:37:02 PM

I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
would be greatly appreciated...
July 12, 2005 12:06:02 AM

Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
game?
You could also have a look at
How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495

Good Luck

Kelly D

"Carlos H." wrote:

> I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> would be greatly appreciated...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:17:01 AM

To Peter: Yes, I sure did... I downloaded the files before Kelly's
suggestion. Then I followed Kelly's.

To Kelly: The error message comes up when trying to install the game. I will
look at the new link you gave me...

Shouldn't we be in bed, sleeping and resting from a hard days work? :)

"Kelly" wrote:

> Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
> game?
> You could also have a look at
> How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495
>
> Good Luck
>
> Kelly D
>

> "Carlos H." wrote:
>
> > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> > would be greatly appreciated...
July 12, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Kelly,

The troubleshooting steps did not work... They are basically an echo of the
other stuff I've tried.

"Carlos H." wrote:

> To Peter: Yes, I sure did... I downloaded the files before Kelly's
> suggestion. Then I followed Kelly's.
>
> To Kelly: The error message comes up when trying to install the game. I will
> look at the new link you gave me...
>
> Shouldn't we be in bed, sleeping and resting from a hard days work? :)
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
> > Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
> > game?
> > You could also have a look at
> > How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Kelly D
> >

> > "Carlos H." wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> > > would be greatly appreciated...
July 12, 2005 12:23:02 AM

Hahaha...Yeah probably, but here we are messing with computers. Regardless, I
am not sure if that article will apply, but it may give you some ideas. Did
the game work with XP before? I realize this is not the error you are
receiving, however, there is not much in the KB for 16 bit errors, and
nothing on "can't run 16 bit application". Regardless, yet another article to
browse.
"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

Good Luck

Kelly D

"Carlos H." wrote:

> I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> would be greatly appreciated...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:10:41 AM

Take a look at these
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
--
Peter

"Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80441D90-5678-4D56-8625-DBCE964BBAA8@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> would be greatly appreciated...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:10:42 AM

Thanks for the pointer, but like I said, my problem doesn't seem to be with
the .nt files. I gave it a shot anyway, but it didn't work...

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Take a look at these
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
> --
> Peter

> "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80441D90-5678-4D56-8625-DBCE964BBAA8@microsoft.com...
> > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
> > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
> > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
> > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
> > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> > would be greatly appreciated...

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:34:35 AM

Hi,

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
described in the article.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus
>attack,
> I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to
> run
> the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the
> only
> answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however,
> my
> specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> would be greatly appreciated...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:34:36 AM

Sorry, no go... Followed to the "t," no success...

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>
> This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
> expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
> folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
> need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
> described in the article.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus
> >attack,
> > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
> > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
> > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to
> > run
> > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
> > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the
> > only
> > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however,
> > my
> > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
> > would be greatly appreciated...

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:01:30 AM

Did you download and install a fresh version of autoexe.nt it said in one of my links that I supplied?

--
Peter

!