Can't install 16-bit application

I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
would be greatly appreciated...
9 answers Last reply
More about install application

    Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
    game?
    You could also have a look at
    How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495

    Good Luck

    Kelly D

    "Carlos H." wrote:

    > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > would be greatly appreciated...

    To Peter: Yes, I sure did... I downloaded the files before Kelly's
    suggestion. Then I followed Kelly's.

    To Kelly: The error message comes up when trying to install the game. I will
    look at the new link you gave me...

    Shouldn't we be in bed, sleeping and resting from a hard days work? :)

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
    > game?
    > You could also have a look at
    > How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > Kelly D
    >

    > "Carlos H." wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > > would be greatly appreciated...

    Kelly,

    The troubleshooting steps did not work... They are basically an echo of the
    other stuff I've tried.

    "Carlos H." wrote:

    > To Peter: Yes, I sure did... I downloaded the files before Kelly's
    > suggestion. Then I followed Kelly's.
    >
    > To Kelly: The error message comes up when trying to install the game. I will
    > look at the new link you gave me...
    >
    > Shouldn't we be in bed, sleeping and resting from a hard days work? :)
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    > > Does the error come up when you're installing the game or trying to run the
    > > game?
    > > You could also have a look at
    > > How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314495
    > >
    > > Good Luck
    > >
    > > Kelly D
    > >

    > > "Carlos H." wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > > > would be greatly appreciated...

    Hahaha...Yeah probably, but here we are messing with computers. Regardless, I
    am not sure if that article will apply, but it may give you some ideas. Did
    the game work with XP before? I realize this is not the error you are
    receiving, however, there is not much in the KB for 16 bit errors, and
    nothing on "can't run 16 bit application". Regardless, yet another article to
    browse.
    "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

    Good Luck

    Kelly D

    "Carlos H." wrote:

    > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > would be greatly appreciated...

    Take a look at these
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
    --
    Peter

    "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80441D90-5678-4D56-8625-DBCE964BBAA8@microsoft.com...
    > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > would be greatly appreciated...

    Thanks for the pointer, but like I said, my problem doesn't seem to be with
    the .nt files. I gave it a shot anyway, but it didn't work...

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > Take a look at these
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
    > --
    > Peter

    > "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80441D90-5678-4D56-8625-DBCE964BBAA8@microsoft.com...
    > > I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus attack,
    > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to run
    > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the only
    > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however, my
    > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > > would be greatly appreciated...

    Hi,

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
    expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
    folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
    need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
    described in the article.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus
    >attack,
    > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to
    > run
    > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the
    > only
    > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however,
    > my
    > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > would be greatly appreciated...

    Sorry, no go... Followed to the "t," no success...

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    > program
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    >
    > This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
    > expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
    > folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
    > need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
    > described in the article.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus
    > >attack,
    > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to
    > > run
    > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the
    > > only
    > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however,
    > > my
    > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > > would be greatly appreciated...

    Did you download and install a fresh version of autoexe.nt it said in one of my links that I supplied?

    --
    Peter

    "Carlos H." <CarlosH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7AF1B09-6EC7-40A2-AF4B-4168E37C76CF@microsoft.com...
    > Sorry, no go... Followed to the "t," no success...
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    > > program
    > >
    > > This should help resolve this common problem. Basically, you will have to
    > > expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt to the system32
    > > folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on your hard drive. Sometimes, you
    > > need to create new ones and overwrite the existing ones - the method is
    > > described in the article.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Carlos H." <Carlos H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am trying to re-install a game on my computer. Due to a good virus
    > > >attack,
    > > > I was forced to reformat my hardrive and re-install Windows XP Pro. When I
    > > > tried to re-install my son's game (one of those Sesame Street educational
    > > > games) I get an error message saying that there is insufficient memory to
    > > > run
    > > > the application-- The title of the message box is "Can't run 16-bit
    > > > application"; there is no error number. I have Googled for it, but the
    > > > only
    > > > answers I seem to get are for the autoexe.nt file being corrupt; however,
    > > > my
    > > > specific problem is not listed in the symptoms. ANY help I can get on this
    > > > would be greatly appreciated...

Games Windows XP