Finishing touches

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Ok, well... a while ago I told myself I was going to go with the Seagate 120Gb SATA2, but now I am wondering if this is overkill... I am getting an Nforce3 and an Athlon64 3200+ (socket 939).

I am not really sure about SATA2 and I think that it might just be overkill?? The system will be used as a gaming PC (major) with some audio, and picture storage, but not a lot...

Give me your ideas, any are welcome and appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SATA2 isn't really a factor here. It may offer NCQ, but Seagates been putting that on their latest standard SATA drives as well. Performance wise, these drives don't even get close to SATA's 150MB/s available bandwidth, not even from cache burst.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Alright... thanks Crashman... I have been told to go with a Seagate or the WD Raptor 74Gb one but man that Raptor is a lot of money. I don't know what to do to be honest.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You pay more for 10,000RPM drives. I'd probably just go with the Seagate. And since both SATA and SATA2 drives from Seagate now support NCQ, it doesn't seem to matter which you choose.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>