LCD: Recommended and Maximum Resolution?

famia

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I was planning to change my old CRT to an LCD, while I browse my local shop, I noticed that they have Maximum Resolution placed in the specification part of the box. I asked the clerk and he said that it means that is the highest resolution the LCD can display and I can't go farther. Is this true? If so does that mean I have to allocate a bigger budget for the larger screens since I noticed that all x inch LCD have the same Maximum resolution.

Another I notice is that some LCDs don't have maximum resolution but have recommended resolution and some have both displayed (although both resolutions are equal and I have yet to see an LCD that have this 2 with different resolution)

So can anybody explain to me what these 2 mean? Should I get one that has a recommended resolution over the one with a maximum resolution or the one that has both? In particular if I want to enjoy a game at say 1200x1064 but my LCD have a maximum resolution of 1024x768 only, will that mean that I can only play at a max of 1024x768? or is the term 'resolution' in these LCDs completely different from the computer term?

Kistoff

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Maximum resolution is the max that the monitor can display. Recommended resolution is what the manufacturer recommends and is usually the size at which it will display the best picture. You can go to a lower resolution, but the picture might not look as good.

Maximum Resolution = Recommended Resolution

Maximum resolution is self explanatory. You cannot go beyond the max res of an LCD without having to buy a larger LCD monitor. Therefore, if the monitor's max resolution is 1024 x 768, then you will be forced to play that game at 1024 x 768 or lower.

The recommended resolution is usually the native (aka max) resolution of the LCD. LCD monitors do not scale as well as CRT monitors, therefore lower resolutions will not be as sharp as native resolution.

famia

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Thanks, for the reply. I guess it's just hard to believe that I would need to consider what resolution I want my monitor to display most of the time when I want to buy an LCD than just getting a good brand with acceptable specifications.