Any Gain using Audigy for Ripping Video & Music

Iron_Chef

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
Hello,
Just setting up a new system and while the new board has an on board Ac Realtek codec I do have a SB Audigy (not in use that I can throw in) so
I was wondering if there are any mark improvements in using the Audigy for Ripping Video & Music (is the spidf cd/dvd input helpful)?

Thanks for all you Input.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Iron_Chef on 11/27/04 04:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Music yes
But only because U have a lot more options on how you can rip
The Video not really
Quality wise I dont think it would matter if you are recording with tipical settings like .mp3 at 128
But on board wont let u rip .mp3 at 320 Or so i would guess

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ripping no. Recording yes. Playback, it depends.

Ripping is done entirely in digital domain. Raw data is extracted directly from your CD or DVD. Your sound card is not used at any time during the process. You don't even need a sound card or onboard sound to do ripping. You only need the sound card to play the sounds.

Now if you are recording you may get better sound (in theory). It depends on the specs of the soundcard vs onboard sound. Generally sound cards have better S/N specs and should record better sound but there are a lot of variables. Electrical noise from optical drives, motherboard, fans, power line can mess up the recordings.

Even if you get near zero noise you might not hear the benefits during playback with a better sound card. MP3 compression will tend to cover slight differences in quality. Cheap speakers will mask larger differences. If you are an overclocker with noisy fans then those fans tend to mask everything.

You might need a very quiet system and good audio gear to hear any differences at all. Depends on how good your speakers are, and how good you ears are.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 11/28/04 02:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>