Isle of the Cult

Nathan

It's time to discuss Isle of the Cult, right? I must confess that I
haven't got very far, so my opinions are incomplete, but nothing I
say is going to be a spoiler.

At this point I just wanted to mention one thing I found particularly
interesting. In one specific sense, this game reminds me of the
classic Infocom adventures that hooked me in the first place. This is
the fact that I have found myself spending hours and even days thinking
about one puzzle. I have the impression that most modern IF players no
longer have this kind of patience. The IF Comp expects games to be
finishable in two hours. Back in the day, we would have considered it a
waste of our money to be able to finish a game so fast.

In some ways I have fallen into the modern habit of resorting to hints
and walkthroughs, but with this game it is different. Right at the
beginning, I did ask this group for one small nudge, but since then
I've been going it alone. I've found this approach rewarding. I may not
finish for a while, but I am very immersed in the game. I recognize
that this style of play doesn't fit many of the modern adventures that
areavailable. In Isle of the Cult, I've found what I've been looking
for.

Agree with you.
I think that the real challenge of modern IF is to let payers be
immersed in a game and play it without have a look at the WTs.
No matter what the 'genre' is.
(Anyway, i prefer plot-oriented vs. puzzle-oriented)
Rob

TRENDING THREADS