Walkthrough for HLA Adventure

Last response: in Video Games
a b α HP
July 2, 2005 4:00:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.lang.asm,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Here's a walkthrough for HLA Adventure that I found online. I've
uploaded it to my webspace.

HLA Adventure Walkthru
By: Roger Pepitone

General tips:

Best weapons:
cleaver (village, in store) strength 10
battleaxe (eastern forest, grass roof hut) strength 18
fire whip (mystic cave, held by golem) strength 22

Most wearables has no effect, but the armor and shield (village,
paladin)
occasionally heal you, and the cloak (elf) occasionally increases your
damage.

There are two NPCs who can help you in combat
Werewolf (in mansion)
Tursk (in caverns)

Eating the rations (village, tavern) will give you an extra 200 hp and
refill
your food count. Eating the food (village, small room) will give you
100 hp and refill your food count, and will reappear in the small room
afterwards.

Walkthrough

read board
get flute
e,e,n,e
get rope
get key
w,s,w,n,n
get rations
eat rations
u,e,
get lantern (quest 1)
get food
w,d,s,s,s,s,s,s,
play flute
d,s,e,e,e,n
get buckler
s,w,w,w,w, (Tursk joins, must be carrying buckler)
e,n,u
enter portal
enter portal
n,s (Werewolf joins, must be carrying food, quest 6)
enter portal
e,n,e,n
use rope
get battleaxe
wield battleaxe
use rope
s,w,s
kill goblin (quest 2)
w,n,n,n,n,n,w (must have key)
kill paladin
get armor
wear armor
get shield
wear shield
e,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,
kill barbarian (quest 3)
s, s
kill knight
s,s
kill sorcerer (quest 4)
n,n,n,n,n,n,n,n,
enter portal
enter portal
n,n,n,n
kill butler (quest 5, get credit for 6, must still have food)
eat food
s,s,s,s
enter portal
d,s,s,e
kill lich (quest 8)
w,n,n,u,w,w
kill warrior
w,w,w,n,n,n,n,n,n,n
kill vampire (quest 7, get credit for 8)
kill dragon (quest 9)
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 2, 2005 5:50:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.lang.asm,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I've added a bit more to the first walkthrough by Roger Pepitone:

[...]

Upon winning HLA Adventure, you are treated with the following message:

The dragon has fallen!

"Congratulations!!!

The dead dragon lay at your feet. The king was right, it WAS
a dragon after all (and not some guy in a clown suit). Ugh, clowns!
As your accountant arrives to shake you down, you struggle to remove
your sword from the beast's belly. With blood splattered everywhere,
you
feel relieved of your duties. You'll soon retire on a nice bounty and
marry the princess after all. The king warned her about you, but alas,
you've
got bigger fish to fry. You have a castle to take over, a wife to knock
up,
and kids to blame for your drinking problem. But over a few tankards of
beer, much will disappear as the room returns to spinning once more.

Where is Merlin when you need his advice? (Drunk as usual, sheesh!)

Guy with sword 1, evil dragon 0. Time for another drink... <THE END!>"

There is also an alternative ending, depending on player
accomplishments. This
ending reads:

"You stand over the crumpled body of the menacing
dragon, your sword bathed in blood. It is a lonely
sight to behold a once great dragon reduced to so
little. In a way, you feel sorry for it, if only
for a moment. Besides, with the sun now over
the horizon, the taverns will be opening once
again. Why waste spilled dragon on the greatness
that is free beer?..."

Due to a quirk in the game, it is unknown whether this alternative
ending
is even reachable (the source code is said to jump to this ending once
the
9th and final quest is completed, but the fighting routine immediately
jumps
to the first ending when the dragon has 0 or fewer hit points.

Hmmm...

Paul

dunric@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> wear armor
> get shield
> wear shield
> e,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,s,
> kill barbarian (quest 3)
> s, s
> kill knight
> s,s
> kill sorcerer (quest 4)
> n,n,n,n,n,n,n,n,
> enter portal
> enter portal
> n,n,n,n
> kill butler (quest 5, get credit for 6, must still have food)
> eat food
> s,s,s,s
> enter portal
> d,s,s,e
> kill lich (quest 8)
> w,n,n,u,w,w
> kill warrior
> w,w,w,n,n,n,n,n,n,n
> kill vampire (quest 7, get credit for 8)
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 4, 2005 1:39:08 AM

dunric@yahoo.com wrote:

> Due to a quirk in the game, it is unknown whether this alternative
> ending
> is even reachable (the source code is said to jump to this ending once
> the
> 9th and final quest is completed, but the fighting routine immediately
> jumps
> to the first ending when the dragon has 0 or fewer hit points.
>
> Hmmm...

How about re-writing the entire game from scratch? Take a look at
dwzavitz's code in the "alpha .. omega" directory at aoaprogramming --
that'd be an easy way to get it to more closely resemble a game engine
which would be easier to maintain.

Nathan.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 4, 2005 3:58:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.lang.asm,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Could be. I could definitely do that, although I don't plan on
expanding HLA Adventure much more than it already is.

Paul
!