Two operating systems on one partition

I have a Dell computer that came with W2K on it. I bought another Dell
computer that came with XP Pro. I decided I wanted to upgrade the W2K to XP
Pro. I used the disk the computer came with and everything seemed to be
going alright, but when it came to booting up I had the choice between the
two operating systems but they are both on one partition! I don't want both,
I just want XP but I can't figure out if there is a way to get rid of the W2K
without formatting the whole business and reinstalling XP. If anyone has a
quick and dirty solution I'd love to hear it.

Two operating systems on one partition is a recipe for disaster. You are
better off starting over after backing up your files.

See here for a useful walkthrough of how to reinstall Windows clean.

Clean Install Windows XP

Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

"KD Burdick" <KD Burdick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell computer that came with W2K on it. I bought another Dell
> computer that came with XP Pro. I decided I wanted to upgrade the W2K to
> XP
> Pro. I used the disk the computer came with and everything seemed to be
> going alright, but when it came to booting up I had the choice between the
> two operating systems but they are both on one partition! I don't want
> both,
> I just want XP but I can't figure out if there is a way to get rid of the
> W2K
> without formatting the whole business and reinstalling XP. If anyone has
> quick and dirty solution I'd love to hear it.

bill

If you are actually able to boot into both OSs then you have a problem and a
format and clean install is your only option. If it only gives you the
option to boot into both then you may only need to simply edit your boot.ini
filke and remove the entry for win2k. However as the other replies have
stated, if you installed the OEM copy of XP onto the non-OEM machine then
you are in non-compliance of your license agreement. HTH

"KD Burdick" <KD Burdick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell computer that came with W2K on it. I bought another Dell
> computer that came with XP Pro. I decided I wanted to upgrade the W2K to
> XP
> Pro. I used the disk the computer came with and everything seemed to be
> going alright, but when it came to booting up I had the choice between the
> two operating systems but they are both on one partition! I don't want
> both,
> I just want XP but I can't figure out if there is a way to get rid of the
> W2K
> without formatting the whole business and reinstalling XP. If anyone has
> quick and dirty solution I'd love to hear it.

"KD Burdick" <KD Burdick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell computer that came with W2K on it. I bought another Dell
>computer that came with XP Pro. I decided I wanted to upgrade the W2K to XP
>Pro. I used the disk the computer came with and everything seemed to be
>going alright, but when it came to booting up I had the choice between the
>two operating systems but they are both on one partition! I don't want both,
>I just want XP but I can't figure out if there is a way to get rid of the W2K
>without formatting the whole business and reinstalling XP. If anyone has a
>quick and dirty solution I'd love to hear it.

First of all, by installing the OEM Windows XP from your second
computer onto the first computer you are in non-compliance with the
terms of End User License Agreement for your Windows XP license which
clearly states that you can only install that license onto a single
computer.

There is no "quick and dirty" solution to your dilemna. Reformatting
and reinstalling a *licensed* operating system is pretty much your
only option.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

keep on using the oem version and reinstall, formatting the hard drive.

> "KD Burdick" <KD Burdick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a Dell computer that came with W2K on it. I bought another Dell
>>computer that came with XP Pro. I decided I wanted to upgrade the W2K to
>>XP
>>Pro. I used the disk the computer came with and everything seemed to be
>>going alright, but when it came to booting up I had the choice between the
>>two operating systems but they are both on one partition! I don't want
>>both,
>>I just want XP but I can't figure out if there is a way to get rid of the
>>W2K
>>without formatting the whole business and reinstalling XP. If anyone has
>>quick and dirty solution I'd love to hear it.
>
> First of all, by installing the OEM Windows XP from your second
> computer onto the first computer you are in non-compliance with the
> terms of End User License Agreement for your Windows XP license which
> clearly states that you can only install that license onto a single
> computer.
>
> There is no "quick and dirty" solution to your dilemna. Reformatting
> and reinstalling a *licensed* operating system is pretty much your
> only option.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Not possible. and even if it is, it can get messy and overwrite multiple files from your first os. just make a second partition of your hard drive and install your desired operating system on the second partition.