Wireless-G Kit MN-820

Check with AOL for a list of supported routers. (I don't believe that
the MN700 will work)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:31:40 -0700, "Pete"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Joe

I've installed the system in my home and it works well.

joker

It's not supported by Microsoft & it can be considered a violation of
you agreement with AOL. I'd suggest getting a real ISP that uses a
standard TCP/IP connection instead of the proprietary one that AOL uses.

Pete wrote:

> will this unit work with AOL

the MN-700 works with AOL for me.

There are upload speed problems with the MN-700 though.

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Check with AOL for a list of supported routers. (I don't believe that
> the MN700 will work)
>
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:31:40 -0700, "Pete"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >will this unit work with AOL
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Sorry but I believe Joker is incorrect. It is *NOT* a violation of AOL's
terms of service. In fact they provide, to some extent, support for setting
it up. They also can recommend a professional installer to set it up for
you.

You can use another ISP or you can have AOL broadband as your ISP.

http://help.channels.aol.com/article.adp?catId=7&sCId=418&sSCId=4095&articleId=217558

and then
AOL Keyword: Home Networking.
Could I have more than two people connect to AOL at the same time with one
AOL for Broadband account?
Yes. If you are on one of AOL for Broadband's price plans that include
Multiple Simultaneous Login[MSL] you can use more than one screen name at
once. The plans that offer MSL are $14.95 Broadband BYOA[Bring Your Own
Access], $24.95 Broadband BYOA with unlimited dial-up, and the $54.95 AOL
for Broadband plan. Price plan details can be found here: AOL for Broadband
Price Plans. The best way to take advantage of the Multiple Simultaneous
Login feature included with these plans is to install a home network - this
will allow more than one of your computers to be online at once.

Professional Installation: AOL for Broadband offers premium installation
services from DecisionOne. They can install your home network or simply walk
you through the process on the phone. Call 1-800-232-8174 for a free
estimate.

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> It's not supported by Microsoft & it can be considered a violation of
> you agreement with AOL. I'd suggest getting a real ISP that uses a
> standard TCP/IP connection instead of the proprietary one that AOL uses.
>
> Pete wrote:
>
> > will this unit work with AOL

joker

You are only allowed to have one computer connected to AOL at a time
unless you pay them extra monthly fees to have more. That is why I said
that. The user didn't post if they can only connect one computer or
more. The main point though is the hardware isn't supported by either
Microsoft or AOL for an AOL connection. Thus I highly recommend
switching ISP's to a real ISP that uses the standard TCP/IP stack that
Windows comes with. Also AOL is well know to install spyware the is not
compatible with AOL. If you have AOL 6+ you most likely have new.net
which is a type of spyware that causes serious problems on Windows 9x,
It doesn't on XP because the problems that both poorly written programs
create is deleted by Windows & set back to the original settings.

blippy wrote:

> Sorry but I believe Joker is incorrect. It is *NOT* a violation of AOL's
> terms of service. In fact they provide, to some extent, support for setting
> it up. They also can recommend a professional installer to set it up for
> you.
>
> You can use another ISP or you can have AOL broadband as your ISP.
>
> http://help.channels.aol.com/article.adp?catId=7&sCId=418&sSCId=4095&articleId=217558
>
> and then
> AOL Keyword: Home Networking.
> Could I have more than two people connect to AOL at the same time with one
> AOL for Broadband account?
> Yes. If you are on one of AOL for Broadband's price plans that include
> Multiple Simultaneous Login[MSL] you can use more than one screen name at
> once. The plans that offer MSL are $14.95 Broadband BYOA[Bring Your Own
> Access], $24.95 Broadband BYOA with unlimited dial-up, and the $54.95 AOL
> for Broadband plan. Price plan details can be found here: AOL for Broadband
> Price Plans. The best way to take advantage of the Multiple Simultaneous
> Login feature included with these plans is to install a home network - this
> will allow more than one of your computers to be online at once.
>
> Professional Installation: AOL for Broadband offers premium installation
> services from DecisionOne. They can install your home network or simply walk
> you through the process on the phone. Call 1-800-232-8174 for a free
> estimate.
>

> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>It's not supported by Microsoft & it can be considered a violation of
>>you agreement with AOL. I'd suggest getting a real ISP that uses a
>>standard TCP/IP connection instead of the proprietary one that AOL uses.
>>
>>Pete wrote:
>>

>>>will this unit work with AOL

joker

Here is more information about connecting several computers using the
Microsoft Broadband hardware directly from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;810958

810958 MSBBN: Cannot Connect More Than One Computer to AOL Broadband
Service by Using Microsoft Broadband Networking Hardware

I rest my case. They also have some non-public articles that state that
they do not support sharing AOL broadband. I know about that because I
used to support them before support was sent to India.

TRENDING THREADS