Customize Button In Taskbar Grayed OUt

July 12, 2005 1:21:01 AM

The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is grayed
out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:52:57 AM

Hi Laurie,

Is this a system on a domain or your personal one?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
> grayed
> out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:43:12 AM

"Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm

Ignore the title.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
> grayed
> out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com
July 13, 2005 2:43:03 PM

Rick, it's not on a domain. I don't know what you mean. It's on my computer
when I click start menu and taskbar.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Laurie,
>
> Is this a system on a domain or your personal one?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
> > grayed
> > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:47:11 PM

Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)

How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?

Thank you.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm
>
> Ignore the title.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
> > grayed
> > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:52:25 PM

Laurice4,

Check for the two values parallelly under the HKLM hive as well.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
> under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
> ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)
>
> How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?
>
> Thank you.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm
>>
>> Ignore the title.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
>> > grayed
>> > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:00:02 PM

Ramesh: I don't appear to have an HKLM archive, whatever that is. I even used
search to try and find it and came up with nothing. In REGEDIT I don't appear
to have anything indicating an HKLM. How do I activate my Customize taskbar
button, please?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Laurice4,
>
> Check for the two values parallelly under the HKLM hive as well.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
> > under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
> > ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> > No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)
> >
> > How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm
> >>
> >> Ignore the title.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 15, 2005 12:30:37 AM

Laurice4 wrote:

> Ramesh: I don't appear to have an HKLM archive, whatever that is. I even used
> search to try and find it and came up with nothing. In REGEDIT I don't appear
> to have anything indicating an HKLM. How do I activate my Customize taskbar
> button, please?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>

>>Laurice4,
>>
>>Check for the two values parallelly under the HKLM hive as well.
>>
>>--
>>Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>>"Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
>>>under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
>>>ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
>>>No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)
>>>
>>>How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?
>>>
>>>Thank you.

HKLM is short HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry, seen when running regedit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User