Customize Button In Taskbar Grayed OUt

The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is grayed
out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com
7 answers Last reply
More about customize button taskbar grayed

    Hi Laurie,

    Is this a system on a domain or your personal one?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
    > grayed
    > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

    "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm

    Ignore the title.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
    > grayed
    > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

    Rick, it's not on a domain. I don't know what you mean. It's on my computer
    when I click start menu and taskbar.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Laurie,
    >
    > Is this a system on a domain or your personal one?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
    > > grayed
    > > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

    Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
    under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
    ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
    No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)

    How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?

    Thank you.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm
    >
    > Ignore the title.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
    > > grayed
    > > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

    Laurice4,

    Check for the two values parallelly under the HKLM hive as well.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
    > under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
    > ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
    > No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)
    >
    > How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm
    >>
    >> Ignore the title.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The "Customize..." Button in The Taskbar and Start Menu Dialog box is
    >> > grayed
    >> > out. How do I activate it please? laurice4@aol.com

    Ramesh: I don't appear to have an HKLM archive, whatever that is. I even used
    search to try and find it and came up with nothing. In REGEDIT I don't appear
    to have anything indicating an HKLM. How do I activate my Customize taskbar
    button, please?

    Laurice4 wrote:

    > Ramesh: I don't appear to have an HKLM archive, whatever that is. I even used
    > search to try and find it and came up with nothing. In REGEDIT I don't appear
    > to have anything indicating an HKLM. How do I activate my Customize taskbar
    > button, please?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >

    >>Laurice4,
    >>
    >>Check for the two values parallelly under the HKLM hive as well.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >>http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >>"Laurice4" <Laurice4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Ramesh, I followed your instructions. But there are only two lines of type
    >>>under the Policies - Explorer box in REGEDIT. They are:
    >>>ab Default REG_SZ (value not set)
    >>>No Drive Type Reg_Dword 0x00000091 (145)
    >>>
    >>>How do I activate the Customize button under these circumstances?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    HKLM is short HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry, seen when running regedit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Taskbar Start Menu Microsoft Customization Windows XP