DVI to HDMI

SilentSno

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004
I'm wanting to output from my computer using the DVI out, to the HDMI input on my new Sony LCD Projection TV. It doesn't have any DVI or VGA inputs so this is my only high resolution choice. I already have the DVI to HDMI adapter and i can get it to work slightly. I've read the HDMI has special copywright protection stuff so maybe this is screwing up my display. But any help would be appreciated

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Leave it to Sony. I had a CD writer that wouldn't read or write to SVCD format, something about copywrite protection.

WHAT the HECK is HDMI?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SilentSno

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004
HDMI is a newer DVI technology. Not only does it carry uncompressed digital video, but also audio, and controlling other things. It seems to be Sony issue... go figure.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Crashman I hate Sony also. Maybe because they own Columbia Picture and Colmbia Music. I will never buy a Sony electronic item.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

HDMI is High Definition (Multi)Media Interface.

While in Toronto I found my best friend a new HDTV for his New Year's party, the Toshiba 34HF84 which has an HDMI connector (the HF<b>X</b>84 has 2HDMI connectors and 2.1 sound instead of 2.0). Anywhoo, this connector is not just Sony I'm certain it was a smaller player who introduced the standard, someone like Toshiba or Mitsubishi (not commenting on their quality, just Sony breaks alot more ground, like Phillips, than most) however it has been adopted by a wide consortium of players (Sony, RCA, etc), Toshiba seems to be putting it on all their stuff though (we even got an HDMI equipped Toshiba 'HD'DVD player for the new TV, everyting else had DVI or nothing more than component) and pushing it harder than most.

Anywhoo, the bandwidth on HDMI is incredible @ 5Gbps it's 10+ times that of firewire. And it is able to go over much longer distances than DVI (standard 10-20m, but with special cables 100s of meters). The connector itself looks like an SATA connector in form factor.

The fact that it complies with standard DVI-D makes it the connector of the future IMO (not trying to oversell things with someone else's PR, it just seems more flexible than trying to have competing standard, which is why I told my friend it's a safe connector).

The copyright issue is NOT strictly for HDMI, most TVs are now moving towards this protected contect format of HDCP (HiDef Content Protection) which was not mandatory before this year (2005), but most TV sold in 2004 were already incorporating this 'protection'. Now the problem stems from the source and the TV not communicating the 'software key' to unlock the content protection. DVI to HMDI connectors can do this, but I'm not sure what the limitations/restrictions/requirements are for it to work or not work.

I still haven't checked into it enough to see any work arounds, but fro what I've read any source that doesn't not get the correct key will only display in dumbed down resolution or even just snow.

Best thing to do is for SilentSno to contact the MFR (Sony) and see if they know of work arounds for this specific setup/situation. I'd be surprised if there weren't component connectors on that TV, so there is always that option with the HD Adapter. Of course that's not as clean and elegtant as a direct connection to the DVI out through to the HDMI port, but it's just an option.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: