Can't access add/remove windows components

Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in add/remove
programs, it gives me this error message:
Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
2088999411.

Then:

The application could not be initialized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clicking "Add/Remove Windows Components" causes an error and does not launch
the program
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arpwc.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7E353E62-4E46-4FFF-B701-59FEAC64700D@microsoft.com,
AerieC <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in
> add/remove programs, it gives me this error message:
> Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
>
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
> 2088999411.
>
> Then:
>
> The application could not be initialized.

Start>Run>type in:C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf>ok
or,you can get it under
C:\Windows\INF
now Open the Sysoc.inf file by double clicking on it, or,you can do this
using Notepad.
There the items that have the word "HIDE" or "hide" in them are not
displayed on the Add/Remove Programs list.
Remove the "hide" text, leaving the commas.
Reboot your computer.
Now that component will then be viewable from Add\Remove programs.
You can choose to uninstall and reinstall the component as needed.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

AerieC wrote:

> Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in add/remove
> programs, it gives me this error message:
> Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
>
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
> 2088999411.
>
> Then:
>
> The application could not be initialized.

try the command line:

appwiz.cpl

in Run box

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Start>Run>type in:C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf>ok
> or,you can get it under
> C:\Windows\INF
> now Open the Sysoc.inf file by double clicking on it, or,you can do this
> using Notepad.
> There the items that have the word "HIDE" or "hide" in them are not
> displayed on the Add/Remove Programs list.
> Remove the "hide" text, leaving the commas.
> Reboot your computer.
> Now that component will then be viewable from Add\Remove programs.
> You can choose to uninstall and reinstall the component as needed.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> AerieC wrote:
>
> > Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in add/remove
> > programs, it gives me this error message:
> > Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
> >
> > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
> > 2088999411.
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > The application could not be initialized.

Extract a copy of the file comnt5.inf from Windows XP Cd.

Example: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sysocerror.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in
> add/remove
> programs, it gives me this error message:
> Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
>
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
> 2088999411.
>
> Then:
>
> The application could not be initialized.

Okay, I don't think my computer came with a windows XP cd. What are my options?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Extract a copy of the file comnt5.inf from Windows XP Cd.
>
> Example: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sysocerror.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in
> > add/remove
> > programs, it gives me this error message:
> > Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
> >
> > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line
> > 2088999411.
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > The application could not be initialized.

See if your hard disk has the i386 folder (which contains the XP setup
files).

--

> Okay, I don't think my computer came with a windows XP cd. What are my
> options?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Extract a copy of the file comnt5.inf from Windows XP Cd.
>>
>> Example: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sysocerror.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I try to get to the add/remove windows components menu in
>> > add/remove
>> > programs, it gives me this error message:
>> > Setup was unable to open information file comnt5.inf.
>> >
>> > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at
>> > line
>> > 2088999411.
>> >
>> > Then:
>> >
>> > The application could not be initialized.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I have the I386 folder, but it doesn't contain the comnt5 file, and
there is no file with that name anywhere on my computer.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> See if your hard disk has the i386 folder (which contains the XP setup
> files).
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I don't think my computer came with a windows XP cd. What are my
> > options?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Extract a copy of the file comnt5.inf from Windows XP Cd.
> >>
> >> Example: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sysocerror.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kelly

http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files.php/inffiles/C/COMNT5.INF/download.html

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Yeah I have the I386 folder, but it doesn't contain the comnt5 file, and
> there is no file with that name anywhere on my computer.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> See if your hard disk has the i386 folder (which contains the XP setup
>> files).
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay, I don't think my computer came with a windows XP cd. What are my
>> > options?

Thanks Ramesh and Kelly. Turns out I did have comnt5.in_ in my i386 folder,
except it was named comntwks.in_. After downloading the file from the link
Kelly gave I took a look at the two files and they were identical. Of course,
after I downloaded that file, I had to expand half a dozen other files from
my i386 folder before I finally could access the menu. Turns out it wasn't
even worth the trouble of all that, but I still appreciate your help.

Thanks again.
-AerieC

"Kelly" wrote:

> http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files.php/inffiles/C/COMNT5.INF/download.html
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah I have the I386 folder, but it doesn't contain the comnt5 file, and
> > there is no file with that name anywhere on my computer.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> See if your hard disk has the i386 folder (which contains the XP setup
> >> files).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "AerieC" <AerieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kelly

Glad all is well now. Thanks for the feedback.