Latency Changes from 2 to 4 modules

Crey

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
Well, I'm looking at parts and prices for a new system I'm putting together, when I come across something I have never seen before. Below is the link to the product.

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=MMN-COR-002

Now, what caught my attention is the portion of the Features and Benefits section that I cut and pasted below.

2-3-3 latency settings, two modules installed
2.5-3-3 latency settings, four modules installed

Is it common to have to change CAS Latency when going from 2 to 4 modules? Is it a fluke? Is it memory and/or motherboard dependant? Does the merchant selling the product just not have a clue? I've checked a lot of other memory product adds, and I haven't found another one yet that lists something like this. I've been searching around the web (including these forums), and I haven't found anything so far. So I thought I'd ask and pick your brains before I wasted another hour searching and reading.

Thanks,
Crey

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
It might be because more modules puts more strain on the memory controller, and thememory controller these were tested with could only get those timmings stably with 4modules.
Dont think this really becomes an issue untill you are start using very low latencies.

RichPLS

Champion
I have 4 - 512mb Corsair DDR running at 2-2-2-5 on Gigabyte board, but the more chips you have increases the odds that their timings might be slightly off, and have to run at higher latency.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Under normal circumstances, access time increases with the number of banks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>