Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

explorer problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:45:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello there,

I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

More about : explorer problem

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Greetings,

If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
try the following programs:

1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
and viruses from your computer. URL -
http://www.simplysup.com/

Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
you to download it from here -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck!
Jose Francisco
Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights


"cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ADE8BE92-5330-448C-B9A7-3C697AC256C2@microsoft.com...
> Hello there,
>
> I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
> problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
> Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
> Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have used the Trojan remover tool u suggested from http://www.simplysup.com/
and found out that the files Tmntsrv32.exe and the file Smssu.exe from the
C:\windows\system32 are missing......Does that have something to do with this
issue???
If it does....is there some way i can fix this problem???The recycle bin has
been empty so i cannot locate and restore them.
Thank u in advance.....


"Jose Francisco" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
> offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
> try the following programs:
>
> 1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> 2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> 3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
>
> You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
> and viruses from your computer. URL -
> http://www.simplysup.com/
>
> Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
> you to download it from here -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck!
> Jose Francisco
> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights
>
>
> "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ADE8BE92-5330-448C-B9A7-3C697AC256C2@microsoft.com...
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
> > problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
> > Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
> > Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:58:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tmntsrv32.exe and Smssu.exe seem to be part of Trojan.StartPage.O.

You do not want them.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/trojan.startp...


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CFB24374-03BC-4879-930E-9C18966F3542@microsoft.com,
cretesupplies <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have used the Trojan remover tool u suggested from
> http://www.simplysup.com/ and found out that the files Tmntsrv32.exe and
> the file Smssu.exe from the C:\windows\system32 are missing......Does
> that have something to do with this issue???
> If it does....is there some way i can fix this problem???The recycle bin
> has been empty so i cannot locate and restore them.
> Thank u in advance.....
>
>
> "Jose Francisco" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so.
>> Trend-Micro offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>>
>> Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You
>> can try the following programs:
>>
>> 1. Spybot Search and Destroy -
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>> 2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>> 3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
>>
>> You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes
>> trojans and viruses from your computer. URL -
>> http://www.simplysup.com/
>>
>> Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
>> you to download it from here -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck!
>> Jose Francisco
>> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
>> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights
>>
>>
>> "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:ADE8BE92-5330-448C-B9A7-3C697AC256C2@microsoft.com...
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due
>>> to problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows
>>> explorer. Other applications seem to be working normally while
>>> explorer(Internet & Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions
>>> on this one?
!