Hello there,

I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

Greetings,

If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
try the following programs:

1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -

You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
and viruses from your computer. URL -
http://www.simplysup.com/

Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
you to download it from here -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck!
Jose Francisco

rights

"cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
> problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
> Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
> Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

I have used the Trojan remover tool u suggested from http://www.simplysup.com/
and found out that the files Tmntsrv32.exe and the file Smssu.exe from the
C:\windows\system32 are missing......Does that have something to do with this
issue???
If it does....is there some way i can fix this problem???The recycle bin has
been empty so i cannot locate and restore them.
Thank u in advance.....

"Jose Francisco" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
> offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
> try the following programs:
>
> 1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> 2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> 3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
>
> You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
> and viruses from your computer. URL -
> http://www.simplysup.com/
>
> Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
> you to download it from here -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck!
> Jose Francisco
> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com

> rights
>

> "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
> > problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
> > Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
> > Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

Tmntsrv32.exe and Smssu.exe seem to be part of Trojan.StartPage.O.

You do not want them.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/trojan.startpage.o.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.