explorer problem

Hello there,

I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?
3 answers Last reply
More about explorer problem

    Greetings,

    If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
    offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
    try the following programs:

    1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -

    You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
    and viruses from your computer. URL -
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
    you to download it from here -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

    --
    Best of Luck!
    Jose Francisco

    rights

    "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
    > problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
    > Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
    > Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

    I have used the Trojan remover tool u suggested from http://www.simplysup.com/
    and found out that the files Tmntsrv32.exe and the file Smssu.exe from the
    C:\windows\system32 are missing......Does that have something to do with this
    issue???
    If it does....is there some way i can fix this problem???The recycle bin has
    been empty so i cannot locate and restore them.
    Thank u in advance.....

    "Jose Francisco" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so. Trend-Micro
    > offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You can
    > try the following programs:
    >
    > 1. Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    > 2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > 3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >
    > You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes trojans
    > and viruses from your computer. URL -
    > http://www.simplysup.com/
    >
    > Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
    > you to download it from here -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck!
    > Jose Francisco
    > Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
    > Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com

    > rights
    >

    > "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello there,
    > >
    > > I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due to
    > > problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows explorer.
    > > Other applications seem to be working normally while explorer(Internet &
    > > Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions on this one?

    Tmntsrv32.exe and Smssu.exe seem to be part of Trojan.StartPage.O.

    You do not want them.

    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/trojan.startpage.o.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:CFB24374-03BC-4879-930E-9C18966F3542@microsoft.com,
    cretesupplies <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have used the Trojan remover tool u suggested from
    > http://www.simplysup.com/ and found out that the files Tmntsrv32.exe and
    > the file Smssu.exe from the C:\windows\system32 are missing......Does
    > that have something to do with this issue???
    > If it does....is there some way i can fix this problem???The recycle bin
    > has been empty so i cannot locate and restore them.
    > Thank u in advance.....
    >

    > "Jose Francisco" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> If you haven't done an anti-virus scan yet, I suggest you do so.
    >> Trend-Micro offers a free online virus scan. This can be found here -
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>
    >> Also try scanning your computer from any spyware, malware or adware. You
    >> can try the following programs:
    >>
    >> 1. Spybot Search and Destroy -
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    >> 2. Adware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >> 3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) use at your own risk -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >>
    >> You can also try Trojan Remover (30 Day trial). This program removes
    >> trojans and viruses from your computer. URL -
    >> http://www.simplysup.com/
    >>
    >> Lastly, if you haven't upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2, I recommend
    >> you to download it from here -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck!
    >> Jose Francisco
    >> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
    >> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com

    >> rights
    >>

    >> "cretesupplies" <cretesupplies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:ADE8BE92-5330-448C-B9A7-3C697AC256C2@microsoft.com...
    >>> Hello there,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Microsoft XP Profesional installed in a a laptop computer.Due
    >>> to problems with trojan horses i've lost contact with the Windows
    >>> explorer. Other applications seem to be working normally while
    >>> explorer(Internet & Windows explorer) doesn't.Do u have any suggestions
    >>> on this one?

Windows Explorer Microsoft Explorer Windows XP