switching between two network settings

Hi,

I need to switch between two network settings twice a day.

I use my laptop at both home and work. Eevery night and morning I have to
change my network setting from static IP to DHCP and vice versa.

Is there any better way for doing that?

Thank you,
Alan

Yes, use the alternate configuration method. In your network properties
window tcp/ip properties, when you are set for DHCP you will see at the top
an "Alternate Configuration" tab. Set that one for user configured and input
your static IP info. That's it, now when you are at work that static will
work and at home DHCP will kick in. No other changes are needed.

"A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to switch between two network settings twice a day.
>
> I use my laptop at both home and work. Eevery night and morning I have to
> change my network setting from static IP to DHCP and vice versa.
>
> Is there any better way for doing that?
>
> Thank you,
> Alan

Thank you for your reply. The problem is at work we have a DHCP server, but
I must work with a static IP address. So I can not leave the main TCPIP
setting to "Obtain IP auto...". I have to enter the static IP address. The
alternate configuration TAB is only available when you choose "Obtain IP
automatically". Any solution ?

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Yes, use the alternate configuration method. In your network properties
> window tcp/ip properties, when you are set for DHCP you will see at the
> top an "Alternate Configuration" tab. Set that one for user configured and
> input your static IP info. That's it, now when you are at work that static
> will work and at home DHCP will kick in. No other changes are needed.

> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to switch between two network settings twice a day.
>>
>> I use my laptop at both home and work. Eevery night and morning I have to
>> change my network setting from static IP to DHCP and vice versa.
>>
>> Is there any better way for doing that?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Alan

You might want to check out netswitcher
http://www.netswitcher.com and see if that does what
you want. I have not used it, but have heard lots of
comments from people who have and are happy with it.

mikey

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

In article <OI#KJduhFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
alanalan@newsgroup.nospam says...
> Thank you for your reply. The problem is at work we have a DHCP server, but
> I must work with a static IP address. So I can not leave the main TCPIP
> setting to "Obtain IP auto...". I have to enter the static IP address. The
> alternate configuration TAB is only available when you choose "Obtain IP
> automatically". Any solution ?

Leave it as Obtain IP auto.. and setup a DHCP Reservation for your MAC
address - it will reassign you the same IP each time you connect.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Can you email your IT dept and have them remove your MAC address from their
DHCP pool.That will prevent it from grabbing an IP address.