Networking XP and 2000 PCs

I've set up many networks, but i can't seem to get my media cener XP desktop
networked with my 2000 professional edition desktop. I've looked all over
this site, in help and on the web, but can't seem to get them to work
together.

Please help!
4 answers Last reply
More about networking 2000

    You cannot join your computer to a domain in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887212

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    In article <7A0B059F-387C-4445-A981-2C876D5E6366@microsoft.com>,
    "webbuzzard" <webbuzzard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >I've set up many networks, but i can't seem to get my media cener XP desktop
    >networked with my 2000 professional edition desktop. I've looked all over
    >this site, in help and on the web, but can't seem to get them to work
    >together.
    >
    >Please help!

    I recommend posting your question in news group
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web.

    Include as much detail as you can of the network hardware and software
    setup, what you're trying to do, what exactly happens when you do it,
    complete text of all error messages, etc. Describe the
    troubleshooting steps that you've already tried, so that people don't
    suggest them again.

    I'm sure that someone will be able to help.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    webbuzzard wrote:
    > I've set up many networks, but i can't seem to get my media cener XP desktop
    > networked with my 2000 professional edition desktop. I've looked all over
    > this site, in help and on the web, but can't seem to get them to work
    > together.
    >
    > Please help!

    On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    is either disabled or set to allow exceptions for file and print sharing.

    On the Win2K PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > You cannot join your computer to a domain in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887212

    Relevance, Carey? The OP didn't mention a domain.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

PCS Desktops Networking Microsoft Windows XP