MAC address filtering MN-500, allow unspecified MAC address?

Hi,
Just bought and setup a Microsoft MN-500 wireless
router. Got it all set for wireless including WEP. But
when I tried to set up MAC filtering, I ran into troubles
with the settings "Enable Connection Control and
allow/deny unspecified MAC addresses to connect". I read
this such that I should "deny" unspecified MAC addresses a
connection. However, this always hung up the router and
required a hard reset (I think the hardwired connection
with the PC was broken, so response).

Tech support (she was very good), suggested changing the
setting to "allow unspecified MAC addresses to connect".
This worked. But intuitively, it's opposite of what I want
to allow. But it works.

Anyone else run into this setting?

Thanks,
-Tony
2 answers Last reply
More about address filtering unspecified address

    I have the *Association* control to *deny* unspecified
    MAC's checked, and the Connection control unchecked. This
    prevents unauthorized wireless computers from getting
    through the base station (i.e. unless they clone the MAC
    address of one of my laptops).

    The Association control applies to wireless only. The
    Connection control applies to both, so unless you have
    entered the MAC address of your wired desktop on the list,
    you'll be locked out with Connection enabled and the deny
    setting.

    The Allow Unspecified MAC's allows everybody to connect,
    except the MAC addresses in the list that are not
    additionally checked to Allow Connection (i.e. it enables
    creation of a blacklist).

    Hi,
    Thanks for the clear explanation of what those settings
    do. I have made the changes and the router responded just
    fine. And a wireless PDA connected just fine. Too bad MS
    didn't provide more instructions on using those settings
    in the manual or on the web site, they weren't intuitive
    at all.

    Regards,
    -Tony

Routers Connection Mac Address Macintosh Networking