Kinane

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Hi,
All of a sudden one day i seemed to lose alot of space on my hard drive, like 6-7 gb. I thought something was wrong so i went round all my folders and checked there sizes and it came up about 7 gigs less than windows thought. Also when i was recently installed HL2 ,steam, the program it uses, said that i had an extra 7 gb left to what windows was finding. Sometimes when i delete something me HD doesnt even change the amount of space left. I was just wondering why it was doing this.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinane on 11/30/04 12:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
could be that your 'trash can' hasn't been emptied. 7gb is a lot, but i know that my computer doesn't reclaim space (even after a delete) until i've emptied the trash. might give that a try.

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
If you have Windows 2000, or Windows XP the "System Volume Information" directories which are located on each volume could be eating up the space.

Sometimes these directories can eat large amounts of space. Generally, these directories are controlled by Windows and don't usually pose problems. There are some virus's that utilize these directories to store files. These virus are usually the ones the turn your system into an unauthorized FTP server.

I would look at these directories and see if they are the problem. You will generally have to give yourself authority to look into them. It is NOT a wise thing to leave the authority on your account, or to give yourself udpate/write/delete authority.

I believe for the most part these are the "Restore Point" data sets.

As far as "fixing problems" with these directories, I don't know.

Kinane

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
thanks, that got rid of 4.5 gigs worth of system restore, i thought it was done then i had windows said i had 67gb free, but then disk cleanup found 68.7 free, so something is taking it up still but i cant find it.

Have you cleaned out your temp files?

Anyway I'd do the following things:

Delete Temp
Run a de-fragger
Run CheckDisk

Also, it could be your Pagefile

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Run checkdisk BEFORE you defrag.

As if there are any errors, entries wrong in file table, etc, defragging may overwrite the files.

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
If you have Norton Antivirus Professional, you should check the deleted files folder here. Norton Antivirus will save your deleted Recycle Bin files in its own folder. You can delete these and reset Norton to NOT save deleted Recylce Bin files.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e, 4xAGP, 2.4ghzCPU, 512mbPC1066RDRAM, 112gbATA, GeF4MX420, SBL5.1, SamSung 48xCDRW, LiteOn 851S DVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU, 104mbFPRAM, 12mbVoodoo2, Win95a