Infocom's Quarterstaff: Tomb of Setmoth Tomb Room

Adam Thornton, I have a question about Infocom's Quarterstaff: Tomb of
Setmoth:

When you enter the Tomb, where you have to fight Setmoth, are there
other rooms in the Tomb, besides the room where Setmoth is?

Brian

The reason I asked if there are other rooms in the Tomb, besides the
room where you fight Setmoth, is because I read in a Quarterstaff
walkthrough that the Tomb has other rooms in it, but I never made it to
the Tomb when I played the game, so I don't know if the walkthrough is
correct about there being other rooms in the Tomb.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002

briansipler@yahoo.com wrote:
> Adam Thornton, I have a question about Infocom's Quarterstaff: Tomb of
> Setmoth:
>
> When you enter the Tomb, where you have to fight Setmoth, are there
> other rooms in the Tomb, besides the room where Setmoth is?

Jeez, it's been over a month, Brian, I thought that we were rid of you.

Next time, why not try being gone for, say, a year.

Better yet, a decade.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:07:43 -0700, briansipler@yahoo.com said to the
parser:

> When you enter the Tomb, where you have to fight Setmoth, are there other
> rooms in the Tomb, besides the room where Setmoth is?

And I was worried your exhaustive quest to ask inane questions about
the endings of every IF game in existence had come to an end.

As long as we're asking inane questions, are you aware that
briansipler@yahoo.com can be rearranged to read:

Coo, I'm a horrible pansy.

I think that's significant.

--
Michael Coyne
http://turthalion.blogspot.com

Brian,
You can generally assume that a walkthrough is correct in what it says
about the game it is describing. I have never encountered something
that calls itself a walkthrough that has an inaccuracy on the scale of
adding rooms or something like that. You're also more likely to avoid
the lesser errors by trusting walkthroughs that come from a reputable
source (for example, ones posted on a site that at least slightly
moderates its content, like gamefaqs.com, or ones by someone whose name
is known to the community).

Additionally, if you still have a copy of the game, you can use the
walkthrough to get to that point in the game and check for yourself. If
you're concerned that you do not have the canonical version, Baf's
Guide ( http://www.wurb.com/if/index ) has listings for multiple
versions of games posted in the IF Archive.

Gregory Weir

> The reason I asked if there are other rooms in the Tomb, besides the
> room where you fight Setmoth, is because I read in a Quarterstaff
> walkthrough that the Tomb has other rooms in it, but I never made it to
> the Tomb when I played the game, so I don't know if the walkthrough is
> correct about there being other rooms in the Tomb.

Well, your absence was nice while it lasted. I have to ask, Brian, are you
autistic or something? See, my younger brother is mildly autistic, and he
has the same bizarre construction to his sentences that you do, where he's
reluctant to use pronouns and every sentence is very carefully and
explicitly crafted. In the eight years he's been alive, I have never heard
him utter anything other than complete, grammatically correct sentences.

Andy

Gregory, you said that you never encountered an inaccuracy in a
walkthrough on the scale of adding rooms. What do you mean when you
say "Adding" rooms?

Brian

In article <1121972862.972632.284340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
briansipler@yahoo.com <briansipler@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Adam Thornton, I have a question about Infocom's Quarterstaff: Tomb of
>Setmoth:
>
>When you enter the Tomb, where you have to fight Setmoth, are there
>other rooms in the Tomb, besides the room where Setmoth is?

Can I ask why you're asking me?

I do indeed have a copy...but, um, I've never actually gotten all that
far in the game. So my answer is quite simply, "I don't know."

When I get around to it I can give it a whirl and see if I can find
out.

Adam

I want to thank all of you for trying to answer my question. I really
appreciate all of you for trying to help me. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Brian

Rather than start a whole new thread - is there any way to get a hold
of the PC Quarterstaff short of a break-and-enter at Ye Old Infocom
Shoppe? Does Activision not realize it exists, or does it not really?

On 1 Aug 2005 02:31:12 -0700, "JohnnyMrNinja"
<JohnnyMrNinja@gmail.com> wrote:

>Rather than start a whole new thread - is there any way to get a hold
>of the PC Quarterstaff short of a break-and-enter at Ye Old Infocom
>Shoppe? Does Activision not realize it exists, or does it not really?

The only reference to a PC version that I ever recall seeing at YOIS
was this one:

http://www.if-legends.org/~yois/column.php?column_date=1999-04-01

Note the date. Quarterstaff for PC doesn't exist.

But while I'm here:

Brian,

When you've finished counting those endless rooms please be sure to
come back here and tell us about it.

--Steve

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:43:05 GMT, "Kevin Venzke" <stepjakk@yahooo.frr>
wrote:

>> Note the date. Quarterstaff for PC doesn't exist.
>
>I'm ignorant. Why didn't it exist?

Because it was never made. :)

http://www.sparkynet.com/spag/q.html

The game was based on an earlier Mac-only FRPG of the same title
released by Simulated Environment Systems.

As I understand it, Infocom enhanced it somewhat through the input of
Amy Briggs and rereleased it. Whatever plans there may have been to do
a PC version didn't reach fruition.

--Steve

Steve Evans <ybosde@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> As I understand it, Infocom enhanced it somewhat through the input of
> Amy Briggs and rereleased it. Whatever plans there may have been to do
> a PC version didn't reach fruition.

If Quarterstaff had really been a Z6 game, as

http://www.infocom-if.org/games/quarterst/quarterspecs.html

claims, Infocom probably would have made a PC version along with the Mac
version. Unfortunately it wasn't, as it would have been quite a lot of
work to port the existing game to the Z-machine, if it even had been
possible.

--
Esa Peuha
student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki

Steve Evans wrote:
> The only reference to a PC version that I ever recall seeing at YOIS
> was this one:
>
> http://www.if-legends.org/~yois/column.php?column_date=1999-04-01
>
> Note the date. Quarterstaff for PC doesn't exist.

Ow. Point taken... I was tempted for a minute to pretend that I am from
a foreign country and therefor have no knowledge of "April Fools"...
but it appears I am one.

JohnnyMrNinja wrote:

> > http://www.if-legends.org/~yois/column.php?column_date=1999-04-01
> >
> > Note the date. Quarterstaff for PC doesn't exist.
>
> Ow. Point taken... I was tempted for a minute to pretend that I am from
> a foreign country and therefor have no knowledge of "April Fools"...
> but it appears I am one.

The one I liked on that list was "Invisiclues for Cornerstone".