Cmd.exe error message

Help Please.....
Anyone come across the following when booting up XP Pro SP2?
"cannot find cmd.exe please insert disk"

I can still open a command line by typing "cmd" in at the Run prompt.

Not sure why this has suddenly started - already researched possible
viruses & trojans, but I think I've ruled this out....(but happy to be
contradicted if anyone knows more.....)

Thanks and eagerly awaiting a flood of responses.

Mikey

--
mikeycookPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
2 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:56:38 +0100, mikeycook <mikeycook.1s2ajb@>
    wrote:

    >Help Please.....
    >Anyone come across the following when booting up XP Pro SP2?
    >"cannot find cmd.exe please insert disk"
    >
    >I can still open a command line by typing "cmd" in at the Run prompt.
    >
    >Not sure why this has suddenly started - already researched possible
    >viruses & trojans, but I think I've ruled this out....(but happy to be
    >contradicted if anyone knows more.....)
    >
    >Thanks and eagerly awaiting a flood of responses.

    Try "type c:\boot.ini" in a DOS window on bootup and see what the
    computer is trying to do.

    What is your boot sequence in BIOS? IMHO it is best to leave floppies
    out of it and only boot off your hard disk and only change it when you
    need to. Someone could bring an infected floppy and accidentally or
    purposefully try to boot off it. At least this eliminates the
    accidental possibility.

    Have a look at your startup programs eg via msconfig

    start > run > msconfig > startup [tab]

    Look through the entries and see if there is one that includes a reference
    to cmd.exe (if so uncheck it)

    Jon

    "mikeycook" <mikeycook.1s2ajb@> wrote in message

    > Help Please.....
    > Anyone come across the following when booting up XP Pro SP2?
    > "cannot find cmd.exe please insert disk"
    >
    > I can still open a command line by typing "cmd" in at the Run prompt.
    >
    > Not sure why this has suddenly started - already researched possible
    > viruses & trojans, but I think I've ruled this out....(but happy to be
    > contradicted if anyone knows more.....)
    >
    > Thanks and eagerly awaiting a flood of responses.
    >
    > Mikey
    >

    > --
    > mikeycookPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Command Prompt Error Message Windows XP