How can I flip the view of my desktop from icons to detail..

I have a huge screen (1200x1600 :-) ) and keep lots of in-use files
and shortcuts on the "desktop". It's a great way to work but I find
that sometimes I can't find an object, or I want sort the objects by
date or filetype without rearranging the screen.

I can do a start>explore>Documents and settings>Desktop and see what I
want but there must be an easier way.

Being able to Right Mouse Click on the desktop and being able to pick
a view would be great.

Any suggestions ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
4 answers Last reply
More about flip view desktop icons detail

    Drop a shortcut to the desktop directory on the quick launch bar.

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > I have a huge screen (1200x1600 :-) ) and keep lots of in-use files
    > and shortcuts on the "desktop". It's a great way to work but I find
    > that sometimes I can't find an object, or I want sort the objects by
    > date or filetype without rearranging the screen.
    >
    > I can do a start>explore>Documents and settings>Desktop and see what I
    > want but there must be an easier way.
    >
    > Being able to Right Mouse Click on the desktop and being able to pick
    > a view would be great.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    DeskView _might_ help. Note that I've not tested it fully.

    http://www.jimcofer.com/geekstuff.htm#Deskview

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    In article <e5Rb3DxhFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Drop a shortcut to the desktop directory on the quick launch bar.
    >
    >Al Dykes wrote:
    >
    >> I have a huge screen (1200x1600 :-) ) and keep lots of in-use files
    >> and shortcuts on the "desktop". It's a great way to work but I find
    >> that sometimes I can't find an object, or I want sort the objects by
    >> date or filetype without rearranging the screen.
    >>
    >> I can do a start>explore>Documents and settings>Desktop and see what I
    >> want but there must be an easier way.
    >>
    >> Being able to Right Mouse Click on the desktop and being able to pick
    >> a view would be great.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions ?

    Outstanding. Give that man a cigar.

    I make shorcuts all the time. It never occured to me to do this.

    Thanks.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Glad to be of assistance, have a good day!

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > In article <e5Rb3DxhFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    > Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Drop a shortcut to the desktop directory on the quick launch bar.
    >>
    >>Al Dykes wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a huge screen (1200x1600 :-) ) and keep lots of in-use files
    >>>and shortcuts on the "desktop". It's a great way to work but I find
    >>>that sometimes I can't find an object, or I want sort the objects by
    >>>date or filetype without rearranging the screen.
    >>>
    >>>I can do a start>explore>Documents and settings>Desktop and see what I
    >>>want but there must be an easier way.
    >>>
    >>>Being able to Right Mouse Click on the desktop and being able to pick
    >>>a view would be great.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions ?
    >>>

    > Outstanding. Give that man a cigar.
    >
    > I make shorcuts all the time. It never occured to me to do this.
    >
    > Thanks.

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP