Mitsumi FDD, ticking me off

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
I was wondering if anyone else may be the proud owner of a mitsumi 7-1 combo drive the model # is FA404M, the damned thing keeps telling me that there is an error between the the floppy driver and the disk drive. I have installed the driver from mitsumi (even though it says you need not to) I have switched ribbons, psu's, and even boards. All to the same crappy response. If anyone knows anything about this issue please let me know. My thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NEVER load a driver for the floppy. EVER.

OK, does the light on the floppy ever come on? Does it stay on or go back out?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
It acts as normal, it flickers on after the post, then you can insert a floppy disk into it, try to access it,then i get the message. However if there is no disk the light comes on and it asks you to insert a disk. I have tried 1.44's and a 720kb disk(s) all work on the other 2 systems I have. I dont understand it, its brand new, so i wouldnt think it would be doa, but hell ive had it happen before, and otherwise the card reader on it works just fine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And you're certain the cable position is right (the drive is after the flip in the cable)? And you don't have "Swap floppy" enabled to force drive A as B and vice versa? And you don't have Floppy 3 mode turned on?

Maybe it's a 3-mode floppy and you should have 3-mode turned on?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Tried all that you listed crash, to no avail, mitsumi sucks for shipping crappy floppys, oh well time to RMA and see if the next one is a pos

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All my Mitsumi products have been good quality, it's possible to damage anything (even in shipping).