[ANN] Zoom 1.0.3

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I've been sitting on this a while, and it's about time it was released.
This is revision 1788 of Zoom, otherwise known as version 1.0.3. Once again,
the release focus is on the Mac OS X version, this time to fix bugs in the
1.0.2 version.

Zoom is a Z-Machine for OS X and X-Windows. It supports versions 3-8 of
the Z-Machine, and implements the Z-Machine specification version 1.1
(draft 6). The OS X version has been much improved in recent releases
and has an iTunes-style story browser, can run multiple games simultaneously
and supports 'true' scrollback (complete with box quotes).

This release fixes a bug that would cause the display to 'jump' when running
certain games, and adds two minor features to the OS X version: the ability
to turn off the 'are you sure' dialog when closing a window, and the
ability to reload and restart a game from disk. These features are aimed
at game developers.

Source code for Zoom can be downloaded from:
<http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/>
and the cocoa version for OS X is available from:
<http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/mac/zoom.html>

These should also be making their way to the if-archive in due time.

Andrew.
8 answers Last reply
More about zoom
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Andrew Hunter wrote:
    > I've been sitting on this a while, and it's about time it was released.
    > This is revision 1788 of Zoom, otherwise known as version 1.0.3. Once again,
    > the release focus is on the Mac OS X version, this time to fix bugs in the
    > 1.0.2 version.
    >
    > Zoom is a Z-Machine for OS X and X-Windows. It supports versions 3-8 of
    > the Z-Machine, and implements the Z-Machine specification version 1.1
    > (draft 6). The OS X version has been much improved in recent releases
    > and has an iTunes-style story browser, can run multiple games simultaneously
    > and supports 'true' scrollback (complete with box quotes).
    >
    > This release fixes a bug that would cause the display to 'jump' when running
    > certain games, and adds two minor features to the OS X version: the ability
    > to turn off the 'are you sure' dialog when closing a window, and the
    > ability to reload and restart a game from disk. These features are aimed
    > at game developers.
    >
    > Source code for Zoom can be downloaded from:
    > <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/>
    > and the cocoa version for OS X is available from:
    > <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/mac/zoom.html>
    >
    > These should also be making their way to the if-archive in due time.
    >
    > Andrew.

    When I try to compile it in FreeBSD Version 5.4, a pretty big UNIX OS.
    The configure step works but when I try to make, I get this error stuff:

    interp.c:1530:19: varop.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c:1892:24: interp_gen.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c:1899:23: interp_z3.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c:1903:23: interp_z4.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c:1909:23: interp_z5.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c:1913:23: interp_z6.h: No such file or directory
    interp.c: In function `zmachine_runsome':
    interp.c:1694: warning: unused variable `st'
    interp.c:1695: warning: unused variable `padding'
    interp.c:1696: warning: unused variable `tmp'
    interp.c:1697: warning: unused variable `negate'
    interp.c:1698: warning: unused variable `result'
    interp.c:1699: warning: unused variable `branch'
    interp.c:1705: warning: unused variable `argblock'
    interp.c:1707: warning: unused variable `string'
    interp.c:1709: warning: unused variable `x'
    interp.c:1890: warning: label `execute_instr' defined but not used
    interp.c:1894: warning: label `version' defined but not used
    interp.c:1918: warning: label `loop' defined but not used
    interp.c: At top level:
    interp.c:498: warning: 'draw_statusbar_123' defined but not used
    interp.c:788: warning: 'save_1234' defined but not used
    interp.c:816: warning: 'restore_1234' defined but not used
    interp.c:840: warning: 'zcode_op_output_stream' defined but not used
    interp.c:1222: warning: 'scan_table' defined but not used
    interp.c:1582: warning: 'start_clock' defined but not used
    interp.c:1582: warning: 'end_clock' defined but not used
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/vbnz/zoom-1.0.3/src.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/vbnz/zoom-1.0.3.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/vbnz/zoom-1.0.3.

    I would really appreciate it if you could clear this up for me, as to
    why this happened. Thank you.

    -Zach
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    The OSX GUI looks great! I am jealous, as I am a Linux-only guy. Any
    chance you will eventually port those enhacements to the X11 Unix code
    base? Maybe you could use Qt, as it is supposedly great for Cocoa
    integration, yet it is cross-platform enough to fit in nicely on Linux
    and Windows? I think it also has C bindings, and it is GPL.

    I see that the OSX version also has a nice GUI for changing settings,
    something the Unix port also lacks :( With regards to your iTunes-like
    story browser, are you planning on adding support for an iTunes-like
    online story library? That way, when new stories are released, they
    can be marked up with meta-data and stored on a central server. This
    would be "the" server to get your stories from - it would be
    comprehensive. Then you could use the story browser to find new
    stories to play, and Zoom would magically take care of the rest
    (downloading, installing, etc).

    Such a thing could really help popularize interactive fiction. That
    reminds me of something, my mom has a Mac. Maybe I could install Zoom
    on it for her along with a handful of good stories.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    In article <Oy5Ie.2503$HM1.2127@okepread03>, Zach Flynn wrote:
    > Andrew Hunter wrote:
    >> I've been sitting on this a while, and it's about time it was released.
    >> This is revision 1788 of Zoom, otherwise known as version 1.0.3. Once again,
    >> the release focus is on the Mac OS X version, this time to fix bugs in the
    >> 1.0.2 version.
    >>
    >> Zoom is a Z-Machine for OS X and X-Windows. It supports versions 3-8 of
    >> the Z-Machine, and implements the Z-Machine specification version 1.1
    >> (draft 6). The OS X version has been much improved in recent releases
    >> and has an iTunes-style story browser, can run multiple games simultaneously
    >> and supports 'true' scrollback (complete with box quotes).
    >>
    >> This release fixes a bug that would cause the display to 'jump' when running
    >> certain games, and adds two minor features to the OS X version: the ability
    >> to turn off the 'are you sure' dialog when closing a window, and the
    >> ability to reload and restart a game from disk. These features are aimed
    >> at game developers.
    >>
    >> Source code for Zoom can be downloaded from:
    >> <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/>
    >> and the cocoa version for OS X is available from:
    >> <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/mac/zoom.html>
    >>
    >> These should also be making their way to the if-archive in due time.
    >>
    >> Andrew.
    >
    > When I try to compile it in FreeBSD Version 5.4, a pretty big UNIX OS.
    > The configure step works but when I try to make, I get this error stuff:
    >
    > interp.c:1530:19: varop.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1892:24: interp_gen.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1899:23: interp_z3.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1903:23: interp_z4.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1909:23: interp_z5.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1913:23: interp_z6.h: No such file or directory

    These files are (or should be) generated by a prior build step, the
    interp_* files by the 'builder' program, and the varop.h file by the
    varopdecode.pl script. They should show up in the 'src' directory
    under whatever directory you're building in.

    > interp.c: In function `zmachine_runsome':

    [ Warnings snipped - most of these are owing to the interpreter code
    being entirely missing owing to the missed build step ]

    > I would really appreciate it if you could clear this up for me, as to
    > why this happened. Thank you.

    I'm not sure: it's possible an earlier error that explains what's happening
    is being ignored for some reason. I usually test the X11 version of Zoom
    on my Mac at the moment, and this build step was working there.

    Earlier on in the build, are these stages being executed?

    .../builder/builder interp_gen.h -1 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z3.h 3 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z4.h 4 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z5.h 5 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z6.h 6 ../src/zcode.ops
    /usr/bin/perl ../builder/varopdecode.pl 4 varop >varop.h

    These are what creates the files that are apparently missing. If not, is
    the builder executable being built? If the builder executable is built, then
    you can try running these stages manually. If it's not being built, then
    what's the result of running make just in the builder directory?

    Unfortunately, I don't have FreeBSD installed on my PC (and it refuses to
    boot the installer under Virtual PC), so I'm not able to test this myself.

    Andrew.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I get no text anti-aliasing with 1.0.3 here. It didn't work in 1.0.2
    either. 1.0.1 worked fine, though. Everything appears to link and compile
    correctly, Xft, fontconfig, and all are found, but when run, I get chunky
    non-aliased fonts anyway. This has appeared on Mandrake 10.0, 10.1, Ubuntu
    5.04, and the new Debian stable. (Though I've only tried compiling 1.0.3
    on Debian.)
    Not a huge deal for me, 1.0.1 works just fine. The only other bug I can
    report is that the checksum code doesn't work. If I have say, Winter
    Wonderland listed in the rc file as 1.990928.63c6 (copied from the default
    zoomrc) it isn't recognized, but using just 1.990928 works fine. (A
    hexedit check of my z-code file confirms that 63c6 is correct) Enabling
    debug in the relevant block of code gives the checksum correctly, though
    it prints in decimal, not hex. This is a minor hassle, but when there's a
    serial number collision I just move the colliding files out and make a
    correctly-named symlink for each instead of using the serial numbers.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,rec.arts.int-fiction (More info?)

    I've just downloaded it, it works perfectly now. The 2 new features
    you've added are also conveniant, especially the reload function. For
    game development because of the lack of this I didn't use Zoom, but now
    I'll use it with pleasure :)

    Do you think it could be possible to have also a "slow motion" scrolling
    when we validate a command ? Even if the jump bug is corrected and the
    interpreter works perfectly, maybe some players would like to have this
    feature so it's easier to follow the new text coming. It's no very
    important but could be nice.
    And what about profiles for text and colours settings, so we could
    change them according to the kind of games or the mood of the player :)
    (like in the interpreter for html tads for windows...)
    Also, is it possible to change the fonts for the input commands ? I
    can't find this even in the advanced configuration tab. For ex. I'd like
    to have the command I enter in bold italic.

    Greetings.
    And long life Zoom, one of the best graphical interpreters for Unix ;)

    Eric F.

    Andrew Hunter a écrit :
    > I've been sitting on this a while, and it's about time it was released.
    > This is revision 1788 of Zoom, otherwise known as version 1.0.3. Once again,
    > the release focus is on the Mac OS X version, this time to fix bugs in the
    > 1.0.2 version.

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I got Zoom to work on FreeBSD. Yeah, thanks for all the help Andrew and
    Eric. It works beautifully. Just a small question: If I don't like
    the default colors, can I change them? Cause it's kinda cool coloring
    but a little modification by me would make it look better to me. This is
    my favorite graphical Z-Interpreter though, it's amazing. Thank you.

    -Zach

    Andrew Hunter wrote:
    > I've been sitting on this a while, and it's about time it was released.
    > This is revision 1788 of Zoom, otherwise known as version 1.0.3. Once again,
    > the release focus is on the Mac OS X version, this time to fix bugs in the
    > 1.0.2 version.
    >
    > Zoom is a Z-Machine for OS X and X-Windows. It supports versions 3-8 of
    > the Z-Machine, and implements the Z-Machine specification version 1.1
    > (draft 6). The OS X version has been much improved in recent releases
    > and has an iTunes-style story browser, can run multiple games simultaneously
    > and supports 'true' scrollback (complete with box quotes).
    >
    > This release fixes a bug that would cause the display to 'jump' when running
    > certain games, and adds two minor features to the OS X version: the ability
    > to turn off the 'are you sure' dialog when closing a window, and the
    > ability to reload and restart a game from disk. These features are aimed
    > at game developers.
    >
    > Source code for Zoom can be downloaded from:
    > <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/>
    > and the cocoa version for OS X is available from:
    > <http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/mac/zoom.html>
    >
    > These should also be making their way to the if-archive in due time.
    >
    > Andrew.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I tried to compile zoom both on freebsd and on linux.

    At the place where it says on linux :

    .../builder/builder interp_gen.h -1 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z3.h 3 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z4.h 4 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z5.h 5 ../src/zcode.ops
    .../builder/builder interp_z6.h 6 ../src/zcode.ops
    /usr/bin/perl ../builder/varopdecode.pl 4 varop >varop.h

    it didn't work on freebsd and complained about missing varop.h
    interp_z3.h and such...

    it's strange but this command seems to be passed from the ./zoom-1.0.3
    on freebsd, and there is no interp_gen.h and such in this folder, it's
    in src. Maybe on linux the system knows that if it has to go in the src
    folder first ? I don't know much about programming (except a bit in
    Inform ;) )

    A workaround is to go in the src folder, and run those 6 commandes from
    there. It should compile fine (it's working on my freebsd system, same
    version as your)

    about antialiased fonts, on freebsd I got this from the configure :

    checking for XftInit in -lXft... yes
    checking that we can compile an Xft program... no

    libpangoxft was installed and I installed later gdkxft but it was the
    same. On linux it was ok for "checking that we can compile an Xft
    program" but since I tested it from ssh, I can't tell if the display is
    correct.

    Just one last thing, when I look for zoom and ifiction I found from a
    search engine this page :

    http://www.logicalshift.co.uk/unix/zoom/

    it seems outdated...

    Eric

    ps : sorry, I didn't noticed yet the answer Andrew made about this
    issue. So, yes, running the commands from the src folder is the solution.

    Zach Flynn a écrit :

    > interp.c:1530:19: varop.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1892:24: interp_gen.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1899:23: interp_z3.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1903:23: interp_z4.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1909:23: interp_z5.h: No such file or directory
    > interp.c:1913:23: interp_z6.h: No such file or directory
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I managed to change the scrollbar, because the blue was too flashy for
    my tastes.
    You can change this in the xdisplay.c file by modifing the values under
    the /* Scrollbar colours */ comment. I don't have access right now to
    the version I recompiled, I turned the bar to grey, but you should find
    this easily yourself. You can remove only the xdisplay.o file and
    recompile again.

    Zach Flynn a écrit :
    > I got Zoom to work on FreeBSD. Yeah, thanks for all the help Andrew and
    > Eric. It works beautifully. Just a small question: If I don't like
    > the default colors, can I change them? Cause it's kinda cool coloring
    > but a little modification by me would make it look better to me. This is
    > my favorite graphical Z-Interpreter though, it's amazing. Thank you.

Games Zoom Video Games Mac OS X