will Dual channel 256 x 4 ocz work for overclockin

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I have an asus p4c800-e deluxe and have to send back 2 sticks (2x256) of OCZ ddr500 (pc4000) rev 2 gold dual channel ram as it seems to be defective. I had been running this OC'd from 2.4 ghz to 3.2ghz (265x4 fsb) but a few months ago it began to be very unstable and I have since found out that the ram is defective. OCZ has agreed to take the 2 sticks back and replace them but I cannot be without my system for 2 weeks or so while the exchange occurs. I am thinking of getting 2 more sticks of the same from newegg before I return the ram I have and when I get the replacements, run the full GB of ram as a 4x 256 dual channel solution. Any opinions on whether this will still be as overclockable as just 2 sticks ? If not what issues can I expect?

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The RAM is only rated for 250MHz (DDR500), the extra 15MHz could push it over the edge of stability. And having 4 sticks may increase timing issues and affect how far you can overclock. Of course Anandtech would point out that the 875P chipset works better with more banks filled.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
before I had the mem issues I have recently been experiencing I was running rock solid for many months at 265 x 4 .. it is the timing issues that I seemed to recall hearing about last year when I bought the mobo ... thanx for the input.. I can live with a .6 ghz OC ok as the xtra 512 of ram will help with performance overall I want to OC though for the added bandwidth

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

KevlarCoatedTent

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Crashman Im going to buy a nForce4 motherboard (probably the gigabyte one) and im going to use 2* 512mb sticks of Twinmos DD500 but later on i will want to upgrade to 2GB of ram (4*512MB sticks) would that work ok or should i try andf go 1GB sticks instead

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you REALLY think you'll NEED 2GB of memory you might consider 2 1GB sticks.

I'm not certain how things will go with the nForce4, but previous A64 chipsets have had problems with 4 modules, many boards force the speed down to DDR333 when using too many banks.

On the other hand, 1GB modules have to live with looser timings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think it's because the larger a module is, the more rows it has, the longer it takes to access all those rows.

Think of memory as a spreadsheet and you're the one reading it It takes a lot longer to visually scan a spreadsheet that's 128 rows long than 64 rows.

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Nice analogy.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e, 4xAGP, 2.4ghzCPU, 512mbPC1066RDRAM, 120gbATA, GeF4MX420, SBL5.1, SamSung 48xCDRW, LiteOn 851S DVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU, 104mbFPRAM, 12mbVoodoo2, Win95a