Only desktop wallpaper

Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about only desktop wallpaper

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    Taskbar".

    Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Noneen" wrote:

    | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
    | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
    | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
    | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
    | screen. Any suggestions?
    |
    | Thanks

    That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!!

    Noneen

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    > Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    > Taskbar".
    >
    > Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Noneen" wrote:
    >
    > | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
    > | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
    > | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
    > | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
    > | screen. Any suggestions?
    > |
    > | Thanks

    Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. :o)
    And thanks Carey for suggesting it. :o)

    Reason being that I have been wondering between the two and have gotten more
    results from line 164. So will spend most of tomorrow deciphering.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "Noneen" <Noneen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!!
    >
    > Noneen
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    >> Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    >> Taskbar".
    >>
    >> Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Noneen" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed.
    >> There
    >> | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing
    >> happens.
    >> | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on
    >> how
    >> | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a
    >> black
    >> | screen. Any suggestions?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks

    I have exactly the same problem. I have downoaded the VBS file from Keelys
    site. But how do I run it if I can't get beyond the wallpaper with no start
    menu etc?

    "Noneen" wrote:

    > That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!!
    >
    > Noneen
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    > > Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    > > Taskbar".
    > >
    > > Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > > "Noneen" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
    > > | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
    > > | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
    > > | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
    > > | screen. Any suggestions?
    > > |
    > > | Thanks

Desktops Wallpaper Windows XP