Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
Taskbar".

Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Noneen" wrote:

| Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
| were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
| I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
| to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
| screen. Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks

That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!!

Noneen

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
> Taskbar".
>
> Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Noneen" wrote:
>
> | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed. There
> | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing happens.
> | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on how
> | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a black
> | screen. Any suggestions?
> |
> | Thanks

kelly

Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. :eek:)
And thanks Carey for suggesting it. :eek:)

Reason being that I have been wondering between the two and have gotten more
results from line 164. So will spend most of tomorrow deciphering.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Noneen" <Noneen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!!
>
> Noneen
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
>> Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
>> Taskbar".
>>
>> Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Noneen" wrote:
>>
>> | Turned on other computer this morning. The desktop wallpaper showed.
>> There
>> | were no icons or taskbar. I right click on the desktop and nothing
>> happens.
>> | I can do a ctrl+alt+del and access the task manager but have no idea on
>> how
>> | to restore my desktop. When I startup in safe mode all I get is a
>> black
>> | screen. Any suggestions?
>> |
>> | Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. I have downoaded the VBS file from Keelys
site. But how do I run it if I can't get beyond the wallpaper with no start
menu etc?