How to remove installed files

Wilson

I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided to
remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried to
uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed to
running ok, but the all the files are still there .

Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name still
shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same program
again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove all the
related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks

Wilson Chu

Double-click that program directory, click up on the navigation bar and
delete the directory in that folder.
"Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided to
> remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried to
> uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed to
> running ok, but the all the files are still there .
>
> Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name still
> shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same program
> again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove all
> the
> related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks
>
> Wilson Chu

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Wilson wrote:

> I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided to
> remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried to
> uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed to
> running ok, but the all the files are still there .
>
> Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name still
> shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same program
> again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove all the
> related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks
>
> Wilson Chu

Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310750

Locations in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

[Courtesy of David Candy]
There are other keys. Some things exist in two places.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

And the above get built here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Management\ARPCache

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You are not likely to be able to remove it from add/remove programs now. If
find the best way to remove a program is first see if the program itself has
an uninstall option, and if it does it's best to start there. That said,
you can download and install RegSeeker from The Major Geeks, it's a well
trusted site with a free version of RegSeeker. Once installed, you can
perform a search, or 'find in Registry' I think it's called, buy entering in
either the name of the program and/or the manufacturers name. That should
find all instances of the program and give you the option to remove. You
just right click the items you have found in the search and choose remove
( delete? )
"Brian Conner" <brianconnerremovethis@mail2web.net> wrote in message
> Double-click that program directory, click up on the navigation bar and
> delete the directory in that folder.
> "Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided to
>> remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried to
>> uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed to
>> running ok, but the all the files are still there .
>>
>> Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name
>> still
>> shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same program
>> again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove all
>> the
>> related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks
>>
>> Wilson Chu

Wilson

But I can't find the program name in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

But I can see the program name shown in the Add/remove (controll panel). I
had deleted the directory for this program.

How can I completely remove it, so I can re-install the software again?
Thanks

Wilson Chu

"Rock" wrote:

> Wilson wrote:
>
> > I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided to
> > remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried to
> > uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed to
> > running ok, but the all the files are still there .
> >
> > Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name still
> > shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same program
> > again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove all the
> > related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks
> >
> > Wilson Chu
>
> Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310750
>
> Locations in the registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> [Courtesy of David Candy]
> There are other keys. Some things exist in two places.
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products
>
> And the above get built here
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
> Management\ARPCache
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

If you try to remove a program by just deleting it's main folder - you have
failed to remove a good portion of the program. At this point, add/remove
will not work because you have likely deleted many files that the programs
uninstaller need to do it's job.

Now you will have to reinstall the program to it's original location, reboot
and then remove the program by using add/remove programs.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> But I can't find the program name in:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> But I can see the program name shown in the Add/remove (controll panel).
> had deleted the directory for this program.
>
> How can I completely remove it, so I can re-install the software again?
> Thanks
>
> Wilson Chu
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> Wilson wrote:
>>
>> > I installed a copy of Battlefield - Vietnam. Afew days later I desided
>> > remove it, but I could not remove it from the hard drive even I tried
>> > uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs. The removal process seemed
>> > running ok, but the all the files are still there .
>> >
>> > Then I just deleted the whole directory, but I can see the file name
>> > still
>> > shows up in the Add/Remove Program. I cannot re-install the same
>> > program
>> > again, and I cannot unintall it either. Can anyone help me to remove
>> > all the
>> > related files from the Windows. I am using Windows XP pro sp2. Thanks
>> >
>> > Wilson Chu
>>
>> Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310750
>>
>> Locations in the registry:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> [Courtesy of David Candy]
>> There are other keys. Some things exist in two places.
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products
>>
>> And the above get built here
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
>> Management\ARPCache
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Wilson

It is unfortunately that I am unable to re-install the software. I try to
reintall it after I restart the computer, but it just no doing anything. By
the way the software is Norton Internet Security 2005.

Wilson Chu

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> If you try to remove a program by just deleting it's main folder - you have
> failed to remove a good portion of the program. At this point, add/remove
> will not work because you have likely deleted many files that the programs
> uninstaller need to do it's job.
>
> Now you will have to reinstall the program to it's original location, reboot
> and then remove the program by using add/remove programs.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > But I can't find the program name in:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> >
> > But I can see the program name shown in the Add/remove (controll panel).
> > had deleted the directory for this program.
> >
> > How can I completely remove it, so I can re-install the software again?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wilson Chu

> >> Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310750
> >>
> >> Locations in the registry:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> >>
> >> [Courtesy of David Candy]
> >> There are other keys. Some things exist in two places.
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products
> >>
> >> And the above get built here
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
> >> Management\ARPCache
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rock
> >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Wilson wrote:

> It is unfortunately that I am unable to re-install the software. I
> try to
> reintall it after I restart the computer, but it just no doing
> anything. By the way the software is Norton Internet Security 2005.
>
> Wilson Chu
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you try to remove a program by just deleting it's main folder -
>> you have failed to remove a good portion of the program. At this
>> point, add/remove will not work because you have likely deleted many
>> files that the programs uninstaller need to do it's job.
>>
>> Now you will have to reinstall the program to it's original location,
>> reboot and then remove the program by using add/remove programs.

Go to Symantec's tech support site for your specific program and search
for "uninstall". There are manual uninstall instructions and a little
program you can download that supposedly will clean up all remnants.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html\

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell