differences in RAM

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
i dont know much about ram so can someone tell me the difference between the different types of ram? like ECC, Non ECC, registered and what are they used for?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECC stands for error correction. You know there was 8 bits to a byte, but ECC uses 9, it calculates the 9th from the other 8 as "odd" or "even" and uses that to recheck the data when it's retrieved, in order to assure it isn't corrupt. Of course all this takes processing power, which means ECC is slower. Because tiny errors are rare and insignificant to most programs, most people prefer not to use ECC. But if you were calculating a huge number on something really important, like the yield of an atomic bomb relative to neutrons, you'd probably want that extra assurance.

Registered RAM is needed for the Opteron and early FX (Socket 940) processors. It's also required by certain server chipsets. But many PC chipsets can't work with those registers, so again a waste of money and a possible concern for compatability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
ECC RAM can be used on 875 chipset boards. It slows down memory a bit, but also increased accuracy and reduces memory crashes.
ECC is the best RAM to have as far as RAM goes.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
So so true... is what you meant to say.
ECC is for servers, workstations and mission critical apps that need to perform.
If your chipset supports it, and stability and uptime is imperitive, ECC is the best.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

No, I said what I meant to say.

I'm glad you have now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>