mn-700 install help

When I try to install the software, I get to the part
where it asks me whether I want to use it as a base
station or a network adapter. I click next for Base
station and then it tells me that it cant find the network
adapter and that I need to install a microsoft one. I
have an ethernet card already in my computer, but it wont
recognize it, I am completely lost and have no clue what
to do. any help will be greatly appriciated!
5 answers Last reply
More about install help

    You don't need the software to configure the MN-700.

    It is only needed to configure wireless connections using the Microsoft
    wireless cards on operating systems older then Windows XP.

    This is because Windows XP is the first OS from Microsoft that fully
    supports wireless connections.

    To configure it manually just browse to http://192.168.2.1 and follow
    the directions in the manual for manual configuration of the MN-700.

    Todd wrote:

    > When I try to install the software, I get to the part
    > where it asks me whether I want to use it as a base
    > station or a network adapter. I click next for Base
    > station and then it tells me that it cant find the network
    > adapter and that I need to install a microsoft one. I
    > have an ethernet card already in my computer, but it wont
    > recognize it, I am completely lost and have no clue what
    > to do. any help will be greatly appriciated!

    Ok I am a total newbie at this and everytime I try to
    browse to that address it gives the message, The page
    cannot be displyed. The page you are looking for is
    currently unavailable. I am using Windows 98SE and want
    to use the router as a wired base to the main computer in
    the house. but it wont rocognise my ethernet card.

    1) Check if your network card is listed in device manager. If it isn't
    that's your problem then stop & post what it is listed as if it is even
    listed.

    2) Check in network properties if there is a TCP/IP for the network card
    listed in device manager (If you have several instances of TCP/IP please
    post how many you have). If it doesn't have a TCP/IP for it then that's
    your problem.

    If you don't have TCP/IP you will need either your Windows 98 SE CD or a
    copy of the Windows 98 SE setup files so that you can install TCP/IP.

    3) If you network card is listed in the two previous locations go start
    | run | "winipcfg" and select the network adapter from the list. (By
    default Windows usually selects the PPP adapter.)

    Please give us the IP address of that NIC if you make it to step 3. (it
    should be a 192.168.2.* address)

    BTW this is sounding more like a windows issue, but I don't have enough
    information yet to be sure.

    > Ok I am a total newbie at this and everytime I try to
    > browse to that address it gives the message, The page
    > cannot be displyed. The page you are looking for is
    > currently unavailable. I am using Windows 98SE and want
    > to use the router as a wired base to the main computer in
    > the house. but it wont rocognise my ethernet card.

    It is listed in the device manager. Here is what it
    listed:
    Dial Up Adapter
    Dial Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    WAN Miniport (ATW)

    Ok for number 2 I right clicked on network neighborhood
    and clicked properties. In that list is lists a whole
    bunch of stuff:
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    Broadband blaster 8012U Gateway
    Dial Up Adatpter
    Dial Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    WAN Miniport (ATW)
    NDISWAN -> Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    NDISWAN -> WAN Miniport (ATW)
    TCP/IP -> DIal Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> Dial Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    TCP/IP -> Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

    Ok now when I click on TCP/IP -> Realtek RTL8139
    (A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC and then click
    properties everything is blank, it had disable DNS
    checked, allow binding to ATM set to NO, and both Client
    for Microsoft netowrks and file and printer sharing for
    Microsoft Networks Checked.

    Ok I hope that is what you wanted, but i went to step
    three and there are only 2 PPP Adapters in the list.

    This means the TCP/IP has not full bound to your network card. You will
    need to do a full 241344. When you do that you will need to have either
    your Windows CD-ROM or a copy of the Windows setup files.

    Please be warned the article is huge & at this point it is 100% a
    Windows issue since Windows provides the TCP/IP stack. If you need
    further help with this issue I suggest posting the the Windows 98 or
    Windows 98 SE newsgroup as it would be on topic over there.

Routers Hardware Microsoft Networking