Problems With New RAM

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Hi,

I've just been given 2 sticks of HP Ram, each stick is 1gig (DDR PC2100, CL2, ECC, Reg)

When I put a strip in (on it's own) I get one of the following:

The monitor doesn't turn on.
The PC turns on when I attach the power cable , before I switch it on.

Then, if the monitor is working, it always gets stuck on updating the ECSD. If I push it to update manually, it works until the next bootup.

I did have this ECSD problem when trying to add a PCI USB2 card, so I gave up & returned the card.

With the 2 sticks of 256Mb PC2100 RAM I have usually, I have no problems.

Does anyone know what might be going on. It's a shame to think I can't use the RAM as 2G is a massive amount for me. The RAM is second hand from an old HP server but it should be ok.

Thanks for any help,

Ape

Spec:
AMD XP2400+
Gigabyte GA7DXR
512 PC2100 DDR RAM
Seagate 60G HDD
Win XP Home with SP2
Audigy Sound Card

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I doubt your board supports ECC. Many boards will ignore the ECC, but some don't. And I'm fairly certain whether or not it can ignore ECC is a BIOS issue.

You could try putting 1 stick of the old PC2100 in, and one stick of the new stuff, with the old stick in the first slot, to see if that forces BIOS to ignore ECC.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
My motherboard does suppost ECC though I know that this is disabled in the bios. Do I need to enable it?

Ape

RichPLS

Champion
ECC RAM will work whether enable or not. Non-ECC RAM will not work if ECC is enabled.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>