Sign in with
Your question

Loading operating system... Please help!

Tags:
  • Disk Read Error
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
September 13, 2012 9:42:12 PM

So basically I tried turning on my computer today and it wouldn't start up. It goes to a black screen that says "loading operating system... A disk read error occured press ctrl alt del to restart." I've tried running it in safe mode and that doesn't work either. I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure what other information to include, so ask away and I'll do my best to describe w/e to my best knowledge. Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks

More about : loading operating system

September 13, 2012 9:50:17 PM

Update: now it says "loading operating system... Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Not sure why it changed
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 9:52:49 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is shot.

Can you give us more details as to what was happening or changed before this? Hardware changes, weird symptoms or issues etc.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:54:54 PM

Sounds like your hard drive died. Do you hear any strange clicking sounds, or possibly something that sounds like your drive is spinning up and back down?

If you have a working computer, you can download hard drive diagnostic software from the manufacturer or something like the "ultimate boot cd" that will diagnose any potential hard drive issues.

Other possibilities include a loose cable if you have moved the computer recently, and a bad/failing power supply that isn't powering the drive properly. If you aren't tech savvy enough to diagnose it yourself, you might want to take it somewhere or have a tech savvy friend check it out for you.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:56:49 PM

Everything was running smoothly I constantly use my computer for gaming browsing etc and for the past week/month as far as I can tell its been running fine. Today I left for class and left it running for about an hour before I came back. The computer was frozen so I restarted it and this happened. Prior to leaving class I was running guild wars 2 and watching Netflix, and netflix kept crashing and the game was lagging severely. I'm not sure if that's related but it could be.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:57:50 PM

I was getting this error when my hard drive died.

Before this happened my computer would freeze for 3-6 seconds and the hard drive made a funny "humming" noise.

I would pull the HDD and if you can try it in a new computer.

GL to you :) 
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:58:25 PM

I checked both the power and data chord to the hard drive and they're fine. I don't hear any strange noises either.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:59:50 PM

Inerax - that actually sounds exactly like what happened to me. Are there any simple ways of checking if it's fried? And if it is, what are my options?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 10:18:39 PM

richtc76 said:
Inerax - that actually sounds exactly like what happened to me. Are there any simple ways of checking if it's fried? And if it is, what are my options?

It's pretty much a 99% chance your hard drive is done or well on it's way. Your only option is to replace it. But as far as data recovery, I would plug it into another pc and see if you can access your files from there. Chances are probably slim, but it's worth a shot.

Don't know how old it is but warranty might be an option? If not they have a great sale on ssd's right now. Check out the Tom's articles 115 GB ssd for 49.99 then get a 1tb hdd for storage. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-ocz-vertex-deal-sa...

Good luck :) 
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:27:16 PM

I agree its 99% your hard drive. It would work sometimes but most of the time it would not boot.

If you have an extra i would plug it in.

Is this hard drive old? If it is 4-6 years old you got good use out of it.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:28:04 PM

It's a little over a year old I think haha.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:28:09 PM

Ok this sucks a lot then :/ 
I posted up another thread with details on my system specs and more questions.
I really appreciate all the help from everyone, so thanks again guys :D 
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:34:27 PM

if it is not that old then call the manufacturer. should be under warranty. most offer at least 3 year warranty.

Good luck to you friend!
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:52:51 PM

Interestingly windows just tried to start up and then froze. I started it up again and now it's running windows repair. My dad says its definitely a virus, we'll see how this windows repair goes. Hopefully all goes well D:
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:55:44 PM

richtc76 said:
Interestingly windows just tried to start up and then froze. I started it up again and now it's running windows repair. My dad says its definitely a virus, we'll see how this windows repair goes. Hopefully all goes well D:

same thing would happen with mine. with the weird noises i would say its the HDD.

Even with a virus you should get to the windows splash screen with no problems.

I bet windows will repair, it will work for some time, hours maybe even a couple days. You will keep getting the random freeze and weird humming noise.

Hope it does work for you though.

good luck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 11:02:54 PM

VERY DOUBTFUL on the virus. I would almost... ALMOST bet my life on it being the hard drive. My advice is get any and all information you need off there NOW! This could be the very last time that hdd boots.
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:06:58 PM

As soon as my neighbor gets home I'm gonna back up stuff to his external. It booted up normally and everything seems fine. I'm really curious as to what's going on
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 11:51:48 PM

After you backup your info..

go to Start>Run, type cmd and press enter. In the command prompt that appears, type chkdsk /f and press enter

Let us know what u find
m
l
September 14, 2012 12:22:57 AM

Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 1:45:37 AM

so it basically wants you to run the cmd prompt as an administrator. So go to Start > Type in cmd > But this time when you hit enter. Hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. That will open the command prompt as an administrator. You will most likely get a pop up that says do you want to allow the program to make changes blah blah. HIt yes and the command prompt opens then go ahead and type chkdsk /f. What we are doing is checking for bad sectors on your hard drive to confirm that it is in fact a hard drive issue and not a bad OS issue
m
l
September 14, 2012 2:08:09 PM

100% back this thing up. HDD's price are back on the drop. If you have $100 to spend get a 2tb WD drive. That should (should in a perfect world) last you 5+ years.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:28:01 PM

Ok so I figured out that if I turn my computer on with the disk drive unplugged, it works. If its plugged in, it doesn't work. Also I went and bought a new 80gb ssd and a 500bg hdd. I really have no clue on how to go about installing the new storage devices haha ahhh
m
l
September 15, 2012 1:30:01 AM

Ughh how do I transfer the data from my broken hdd to the new one :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 2:43:48 PM

Your disk drive as in your dvd/cd drive? If so... check the boot order in the bios.

As far as the SSD. First plug ONLY the SSD in and install windows. After you have windows installed. Then turn everything off and plug in your 500 GB hdd adn your old hdd. They should should up just as another drive (kinda like a jump drive would). Go to START>right click computer, MANAGE> under Disk Management your going to see your different hdd's and ssd. The ssd will have like System OS (C:)  and usually a recovery partition. Don't mess with those ;) . You should see Partitioned space from your New HDD and then probably the system OS (C) etc from your old HDD. Your going to want to assign a drive letter to your new HDD and eventually to the old as well. For now go into computer, find your old harddrive and see if you can't pull your data over to the new HDD. After you get that done go back to the disk management and delete the volumes on your old hdd and make it unpartitioned space so you can use them as storage. Hope all of this makes sense.

ALSO check out these links for tips on SSD's. They are not like HDD's (you don't want to defragment them) and a couple other things. Just read up ;) .
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...
m
l
!