Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about admin worksation updates

    You'll probably get more information on scripts from TechNet at microsoft.com
    script center.

    "torcida1" wrote:

    > I have 200 XP Pro workstations that I need to add entries in the
    > registry mostly in HKLM and also copy and replace files on the local
    > drive as well as update system fonts. The staff only has regular
    > "Users" rights on their workstations so a logon script fails with
    > permission denied issues. Can anyone suggest of a solution on how a
    > user can run a logon script with administrative rights or possibly a
    > different solution that allows us to remotely make these changes to a
    > group of workstations at once opposed to connecting to each one at a
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    For Pro:

    You can use the /savecred option to save it the first time the password is
    entered and you don't need to enter it from then on.

    You add the switch to the shortcut target. Right-click the shortcut and
    select Properties, then the Shortcut tab. Edit the target line.

    For example, this is the line to run Nero from a limited account:

    %systemroot%\system32\runas.exe /user:computername\admin
    /savecred "D:\Program Files\ahead\Nero\nero.exe"

    The first time you run it, enter the password. After that it won't ask for
    one again.

    Added note, this can be done encrypted as well.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "torcida1" <torcida1@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 200 XP Pro workstations that I need to add entries in the
    > registry mostly in HKLM and also copy and replace files on the local
    > drive as well as update system fonts. The staff only has regular
    > "Users" rights on their workstations so a logon script fails with
    > permission denied issues. Can anyone suggest of a solution on how a
    > user can run a logon script with administrative rights or possibly a
    > different solution that allows us to remotely make these changes to a
    > group of workstations at once opposed to connecting to each one at a
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks

    > You can use the /savecred option to save it the first time the password is
    > entered and you don't need to enter it from then on.

    Hi,
    But be careful:
    RUNAS /SAVECRED is huge security hole and your user can execute all
    applications
    after runas /SAVECRED.
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ntbugtraq/2003-q3/0069.html

    Try another runas tools like runasspc on:
    http://robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html

    Bye

Workstations Windows XP