Compressing files from the command line

Hi,
Is it possible to use Windows XP (Compressed (Zipped) Folders) from
the command line, passing it the name of a file as a parameter.

Cheers,

JD

kelly

Do some reading here and good luck! :eek:)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Compressing+files+from+the+command+line&btnG=Google+Search

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

<the_kiddie98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is it possible to use Windows XP (Compressed (Zipped) Folders) from
> the command line, passing it the name of a file as a parameter.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

Perhaps you could be a little more help. I am trying to use the Compact
command on a dump of a database, this is the output. It isn't
compressing, I want a .zip file result.
C:\BackupToMachine>compact dm.sql

Listing C:\BackupToMachine\
New files added to this directory will not be compressed.

888552259 : 888552259 = 1.0 to 1 dm.sql

Of 1 files within 1 directories
0 are compressed and 1 are not compressed.
888,552,259 total bytes of data are stored in 888,552,259 bytes.
The compression ratio is 1.0 to 1.

the_kiddie98@yahoo.com wrote:

> Perhaps you could be a little more help. I am trying to use the Compact
> command on a dump of a database, this is the output. It isn't
> compressing, I want a .zip file result.
> C:\BackupToMachine>compact dm.sql
>
> Listing C:\BackupToMachine\
> New files added to this directory will not be compressed.
>
> 888552259 : 888552259 = 1.0 to 1 dm.sql
>
> Of 1 files within 1 directories
> 0 are compressed and 1 are not compressed.
> 888,552,259 total bytes of data are stored in 888,552,259 bytes.
> The compression ratio is 1.0 to 1.

Hi,

The zip functionality that comes with WinXP/Win2k3 does not have
a command line interface.

Some free zip/unzip programs that can help you:

ZipGenius has a command line interface (freeware)
http://www.zipgenius.it/

PowerArchiver has a command line version as well:
http://www.powerarchiver.com

Last freeware version of PowerArchiver:
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: