Clie TH55 vs NZ90

September 19, 2004 2:13:02 PM

I am tossing up between buying a Sony Clie TH55 and an NZ90. As I see
it, the TH55 is the newer model; it has 32MB internal (usable) RAM
against 16MB, and uses Palm OS 5.2.1 against 5.0.

But the camera is only 640*480 pixels, whereas the NZ90 is 1600*1200,
and of course is about double the price, based on those on offer via
eBay.

So, what are peoples thoughts? Has anyone moved from one to the other,
and if so, why and are you satisfied?

TIA

More about : clie th55 nz90

September 19, 2004 2:38:08 PM

"Christopher Smith" <pacomius@ANTISPAMechidna.id.au> wrote in message news:190920041813003846%pacomius@ANTISPAMechidna.id.au...
> I am tossing up between buying a Sony Clie TH55 and an NZ90. As I see
> it, the TH55 is the newer model; it has 32MB internal (usable) RAM
> against 16MB, and uses Palm OS 5.2.1 against 5.0.
>
> But the camera is only 640*480 pixels, whereas the NZ90 is 1600*1200,
> and of course is about double the price, based on those on offer via
> eBay.
>
> So, what are peoples thoughts? Has anyone moved from one to the other,
> and if so, why and are you satisfied?

I haven't moved between the ones you mentioned, I went from a Palm m515
to a TH55, but I am most definitely satisfied. I don't know if battery life is
important to you, it is to me because I travel a lot and prefer to avoid carrying
a charger. The TH55 is king when it comes to battery life. I get at least 12
hours constant use from a charge, sometimes over 16 hours if I've almost
exclusively used it for reading ebooks. Some people voice concern about
the relatively slow processor (123MHz). I don't do action games but I do
listen to MP3s, play bejewelled, zoom and pan around images, and some
other stuff, and I never wanted more. Also, if you've never seen a TH55
in real life then when you do you'll probably find that it's far more pocketable
than you imagined, I carry mine in the same case I used for my Palm m515.

- Julian
September 20, 2004 1:07:00 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:38:08 GMT, "Julian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Christopher Smith" <pacomius@ANTISPAMechidna.id.au> wrote in message news:190920041813003846%pacomius@ANTISPAMechidna.id.au...
>> I am tossing up between buying a Sony Clie TH55 and an NZ90. As I see
>> it, the TH55 is the newer model; it has 32MB internal (usable) RAM
>> against 16MB, and uses Palm OS 5.2.1 against 5.0.
>>
>> But the camera is only 640*480 pixels, whereas the NZ90 is 1600*1200,
>> and of course is about double the price, based on those on offer via
>> eBay.
>>
>> So, what are peoples thoughts? Has anyone moved from one to the other,
>> and if so, why and are you satisfied?
>
>I haven't moved between the ones you mentioned, I went from a Palm m515
>to a TH55, but I am most definitely satisfied. I don't know if battery life is
>important to you, it is to me because I travel a lot and prefer to avoid carrying
>a charger. The TH55 is king when it comes to battery life. I get at least 12
>hours constant use from a charge, sometimes over 16 hours if I've almost
>exclusively used it for reading ebooks. Some people voice concern about
>the relatively slow processor (123MHz). I don't do action games but I do
>listen to MP3s, play bejewelled, zoom and pan around images, and some
>other stuff, and I never wanted more. Also, if you've never seen a TH55
>in real life then when you do you'll probably find that it's far more pocketable
>than you imagined, I carry mine in the same case I used for my Palm m515.

I would agree with that - I have a TH55 also and use it a lot for web streaming
internet radio via WiFi as go around the house (using Pocket Tunes and
Shoutcast).

If the higher resolution camera is important to you, go for the NZ90, but don't
forget you can get a 3 or 4 Mpixel camera and a TH55 for the same price as a
NZ90.

If you get a Sony Cybershot you can share the Memory Sticks as well.

JPG

>- Julian

September 23, 2004 4:33:08 PM

Julian [nospam@nospam.com][kkd3d.27724$U04.12081@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk]:

|| Also, if you've never seen a
|| TH55
|| in real life then when you do you'll probably find that it's far
|| more pocketable
|| than you imagined, I carry mine in the same case I used for my Palm
|| m515.

[Off topic]

I carry my TH55 in the case that came with the 3Com Pilot Pro in 1997 :]
It has the oldschool 3Com logo printed on it - and it just won't fall apart.

And used with the TH55 there's still place left for the headphones in the
case.
!