IDE adaptor for Laptop HDD

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Anyone know where you can get one of these? I know I have seen them before but I can't seem to locate any right now? Are they still available?

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
Yes they make adapters for this. Search THG, they did an article on using 2.5" drives in a desktop. Even a RAID I believe.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I actually did find a couple...but they're not giving them away.

Thanks.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
Of course not, nothing is free anymore, but I would expect them to be under $20

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD" target="_new">How about $3.95</A>?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Bought a couple IDE adaptors for laptop HDDs, but the motherboard doesn't seem to recognize the drive. Could it be the motherboard itself? Its a old Dell 400MHz Cel, and its only a 2.1GB HDD, so they should be compatible.

I know the HDD is OK because it worked in the laptop. I tried changing the rotation of the adaptor, but it made no difference. Do I need a jumper on the drive for master/slave??

I would really like this to work. I'm using the HDD in a project. Check out <A HREF="http://www.jb-controls.com/scannerPC.htm" target="_new">my website</A> to see what's going on.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never had a problem. Some older drives didn't have the CHS data for PNP, you had to configure them manually in BIOS. Also, make sure you have the thing plugged in the right way.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I'll have to give it another try, see if entering the data manually works.

Thanks Crash!