Windows Update - auto install reminder pop-up is troublesome

When my XP system receives Windows XP updates (automatically downloaded), it
is set to retrieve them and then shows a "shield" in the system tray to let
me know they are available to be installed. Sometimes I find that by the
time they are installed I am in the middle of something but a pop-up window
keeps appearing reminding me that I should be rebooting to complete the
installation. I can click a button to defer this but I find that I
sometimes screw-up the screen I am working on (graphics work) when this
pop-up appears on to of my work before I realize it.

Is there a setting to tell that reminder window to drop dead? ;)

Or do I simply have to stop working, run install, wait for it to finish,
then reboot, before continuing working?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows update auto install reminder troublesome

    Start, settings, Control Panel, Security Center, Manage Security
    Settings for:- Automatic Updates, Select "Download updates for me, but
    let me choose when to install them".

    PaulE wrote:

    > When my XP system receives Windows XP updates (automatically downloaded), it
    > is set to retrieve them and then shows a "shield" in the system tray to let
    > me know they are available to be installed. Sometimes I find that by the
    > time they are installed I am in the middle of something but a pop-up window
    > keeps appearing reminding me that I should be rebooting to complete the
    > installation. I can click a button to defer this but I find that I
    > sometimes screw-up the screen I am working on (graphics work) when this
    > pop-up appears on to of my work before I realize it.
    >
    > Is there a setting to tell that reminder window to drop dead? ;)
    >
    > Or do I simply have to stop working, run install, wait for it to finish,
    > then reboot, before continuing working?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

    Don't use automatic updates. Sometimes it can install an update you
    don't want, or an update can cause problems and if it's one of several
    installed at the same time it's much harder to identify the culprit and
    fix.

    When you are ready to install updates go to the WU site with internet
    explorer, choose the custom install selection and choose the ones you
    want. Install them one at a time and work with the system a bit between
    individual updates to make sure it works ok. If there is a problem then
    you know which update caused the problem and you can remove it. Also
    never get driver updates from the update sight. For those go to the
    device manufacturer's web site.

    Major updates only come out once a month on the second tuesday of the
    month.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you. I may have to take that approach. A shame though that MS does
    not simply cease with the frequent pop-up reminder (seems like every 15
    minutes or so, but maybe it just seems that way).

    PaulE wrote:

    > Thank you. I may have to take that approach. A shame though that MS does
    > not simply cease with the frequent pop-up reminder (seems like every 15
    > minutes or so, but maybe it just seems that way).

    You're welcome.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    PaulE wrote:

    > Thank you. I may have to take that approach. A shame though that
    > MS does not simply cease with the frequent pop-up reminder (seems
    > like every 15 minutes or so, but maybe it just seems that way).
    Hi,

    The default is to wait 10 minutes before prompting again with a
    scheduled restart. But you can configure how long the wait is
    yourself by setting the policy "Re-prompt for restart with scheduled
    installations".

    From the explain tab of the policy "Re-prompt for restart with
    scheduled installations":

    <quote>
    Specifies the amount of time for Automatic Updates to wait before
    prompting again with a scheduled restart.

    If the status is set to Enabled, a scheduled restart will occur the
    specified number of minutes after the previous prompt for restart
    was postponed.

    If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, the default
    interval is 10 minutes.

    Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured
    to perform scheduled installations of updates. If the "Configure
    Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect.
    </quote>

    This registry file will set it to 4 hours:

    --------------------8<----------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000000f0

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    f0 is hexadecimal for 240 (minutes)

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thank you torgeir , for actually giving us an answear instead of just saying
    reboot, we are going to reboot we just wanted to wait util were ready to
    reboot. i install the updates when i am using the pc but dont want it
    rebooted until i am done using , now i have to wait until who knows when to
    make sure this works but ty again

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > PaulE wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you. I may have to take that approach. A shame though that
    > > MS does not simply cease with the frequent pop-up reminder (seems
    > > like every 15 minutes or so, but maybe it just seems that way).
    > Hi,
    >
    > The default is to wait 10 minutes before prompting again with a
    > scheduled restart. But you can configure how long the wait is
    > yourself by setting the policy "Re-prompt for restart with scheduled
    > installations".
    >

    > From the explain tab of the policy "Re-prompt for restart with
    > scheduled installations":
    >
    > <quote>
    > Specifies the amount of time for Automatic Updates to wait before
    > prompting again with a scheduled restart.
    >
    > If the status is set to Enabled, a scheduled restart will occur the
    > specified number of minutes after the previous prompt for restart
    > was postponed.
    >
    > If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, the default
    > interval is 10 minutes.
    >
    > Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured
    > to perform scheduled installations of updates. If the "Configure
    > Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect.
    > </quote>
    >

    > This registry file will set it to 4 hours:

    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    > "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001
    > "RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000000f0

    > f0 is hexadecimal for 240 (minutes)

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Windows Update Windows XP