"My Computer" does not show drives

July 12, 2005 8:45:03 PM

Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.

I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.

I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup because
it won't find other drives. Computer is working.

Ideas?
THank you

More about : computer show drives

July 13, 2005 12:45:22 AM

Hi,

Adding a toolbar to an incorrectly working system was not the best thing to
do. That'd likely make things worse.

Start/run services.msc, locate the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service
and double click it. Stop the service and set the startup type to disabled.
Click apply/ok and reboot.

Now try uninstalling the toolbar.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"KM" <KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
> trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.
>
> I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.
>
> I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup
> because
> it won't find other drives. Computer is working.
>
> Ideas?
> THank you
July 13, 2005 4:28:28 AM

What have you done to try and fix it? In the meantime, run line 157:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"KM" <KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
> trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.
>
> I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.
>
> I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup
> because
> it won't find other drives. Computer is working.
>
> Ideas?
> THank you
July 13, 2005 3:48:37 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:01 -0700, "KM"
<KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
>
>> Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
>>
> Will I lose data?
>Thanks

No!

Sam
--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us"
July 13, 2005 3:51:55 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:48:37 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:01 -0700, "KM"
><KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
>>
>>> Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
>>>
>> Will I lose data?
>>Thanks
>
>No!
>
>Sam

However, I should also caution that it's always prudent to make a
backup before doing anything like this, just in case something goes
wrong.

Sam
--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us"