"My Computer" does not show drives

Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.

I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.

I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup because
it won't find other drives. Computer is working.

Ideas?
THank you
6 answers Last reply
More about computer show drives

    Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >
    > Will I lose data?
    Thanks

    Hi,

    Adding a toolbar to an incorrectly working system was not the best thing to
    do. That'd likely make things worse.

    Start/run services.msc, locate the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service
    and double click it. Stop the service and set the startup type to disabled.
    Click apply/ok and reboot.

    Now try uninstalling the toolbar.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "KM" <KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
    > trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.
    >
    > I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.
    >
    > I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup
    > because
    > it won't find other drives. Computer is working.
    >
    > Ideas?
    > THank you

    What have you done to try and fix it? In the meantime, run line 157:

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "KM" <KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help! My Computer just shows flashlight. I have made it worse by
    > trying to fix it. Control panel has stopped working also.
    >
    > I had added MSN Toolbar and may have crashed it.
    >
    > I need to find a way to fix this without losing data. Can not backup
    > because
    > it won't find other drives. Computer is working.
    >
    > Ideas?
    > THank you

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:01 -0700, "KM"
    <KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >
    >> Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >>
    > Will I lose data?
    >Thanks

    No!

    Sam
    --
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us"

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:48:37 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:01 -0700, "KM"
    ><KM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Boot from the XP CD and do a repair install. See
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >>>
    >> Will I lose data?
    >>Thanks
    >
    >No!
    >
    >Sam

    However, I should also caution that it's always prudent to make a
    backup before doing anything like this, just in case something goes
    wrong.

    Sam
    --
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us"

Control Panel Computers Microsoft Windows XP