SATA as the only drive?

StylinLP

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Can someone please tell me what i need to know on using only one SATA HD as the boot drive?
I have a new Seagate 80gig SATA HD with Gigibyte 915 motherboard with 3.0 P4 LBA775 CPU.

What issues do I need to know on building this pc and installing WInXP Pro on this harddrive. Any BIOS settings I need to config?
Help sure is appreciated.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
pretty sure nothing much, just when your installing your software, there's a part in the begining where MS XP asks you to load your RAID SCSI drivers.... i think you click that and add your floppy or whatever they gave you for your Drivers.....other then that you should be set to go.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

StylinLP

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Im a bit confused on that. I am just installing 1 hd. Not setting up a raid. I will have to install the RAID SCSI drivers during WInXP install?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A single drive on the Intel controller shouldn't need any special driver, you only need the special driver for third party controllers (ones the motherboard maker added for example) or RAID mode. Intel treats individual SATA drives the same as ATA drives when it comes to drivers, and the default IDE driver built into XP works.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I recently built a system for a friend with a single SATA hard drive. There is nothing special you have to set up. At first the motherboard I was using had SATA disabled in the bios, but once I enabled it and booted up with the Windows XP cd it recognized the hard drive and all was fine.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
depends on your motherboard whether you need to install the sata drivers or not, recent motherboards will have built in support for sata, I am about to install a sata hd as my boot drive tonight, its a 74Gb western digital raptor 10000rpm, will update you on how it goes. My mobo is Asus P4C800-E, not expecting any problems but you never know........Otherwise though yeah, when u install an OS onto a board which doesnt have built in support u need to make sure you have sata drivers available to install otherwise your comp wont recognise the drive

StylinLP

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Thanks all. I guess I worried about nothing. I simply booted up the MB and it saw my SATA HD and CD/DVDrom drive with no problems. I installed WinXP easily.