For a year or two now, I have not been able to use Windows Update. When I
load the webpage in internet explorer it shows the "checking" screen
indefinately (it does not freeze, the status bar keeps moving). I have
Automatic Updates turned on, but nothing happens. The last time I updated
was with the SP2 CD I ordered from Microsoft.

I guess this is a good place to note that I think it is foolish to not offer
an alternative method to obtain updates other than the (obviously flawed)
Windows Update online site.

Have you tried automatic updates yet?
"JessAnovA" <JessAnovA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For a year or two now, I have not been able to use Windows Update. When I
> load the webpage in internet explorer it shows the "checking" screen
> indefinately (it does not freeze, the status bar keeps moving). I have
> Automatic Updates turned on, but nothing happens. The last time I updated
> was with the SP2 CD I ordered from Microsoft.
>
> I guess this is a good place to note that I think it is foolish to not
> offer
> an alternative method to obtain updates other than the (obviously flawed)
> Windows Update online site.

Hi,

The "flaw" is on your machine, not the update site. If it were the other way
around, then millions of people wouldn't be getting updates over the past
year (since SP2, to use your logic).

Try clearing TIF's, or refer to this group for more dedicated assistance:

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"youllneverguess" <brianconnerremovethis@mail2web.net> wrote in message
> Have you tried automatic updates yet?
> "JessAnovA" <JessAnovA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> For a year or two now, I have not been able to use Windows Update. When
>> load the webpage in internet explorer it shows the "checking" screen
>> indefinately (it does not freeze, the status bar keeps moving). I have
>> Automatic Updates turned on, but nothing happens. The last time I
>> updated
>> was with the SP2 CD I ordered from Microsoft.
>>
>> I guess this is a good place to note that I think it is foolish to not
>> offer
>> an alternative method to obtain updates other than the (obviously flawed)
>> Windows Update online site.

Idiot.