Sign in with
Your question

Telstra USB Internet - Can you share it via router?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
March 4, 2013 12:06:19 AM

Hello, I have an 8GB Telstra 4G wireless USB that I'd like to share with other laptops in my family. They want me to cancel my plan and get a new one which is dumb as I would then have to pay 12months cancellation fees on top and delivery and setup on the new one. Anyway, does anybody make a router that will work with a USB internet device?
March 8, 2013 9:22:57 PM

All wireless routers must be connected by ADSL cable to a broadband-enabled phone line, or, if it's just a wireless router (no modem) must be connected by CAT cable to a modem which is connected to a broadband cable service or phone line.

Your Telstra 4G wireless USB adapter uses your phone network, not the type of wireless standard that a wireless router uses which is 802.11

The bottom line is you cannot use a wireless router with your Telstra 4G wireless USB device.
m
l
March 17, 2013 4:00:18 PM

Thanks Phill22 that's what I was afraid of.
m
l
July 15, 2013 11:45:38 PM

Sorry to dig up an older thread but yes you can. I have Telstra (Bigpond) 4G USB wireless internet and I use one of these to use WiFi around my house. Also has an ethernet connection on the back which I plug my PS3 into. Cost me about $69 I seem to remember.

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/4g/3gm2wn

Hope you've not already cancelled your contract :S
m
l
!