Infocoms ZIL manual not in if archive??

I've noticed the ZIL manual isnt in the IF-Archive (or certainly not
in any easy place to find where I looked....)

I would have thought it to have been in the archive for posterity...

makes for interesting reading...

if anyone wants to read it

David Betz hosts it (david of drool, advsys, etc).

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/

Here is a users guide to the ZIL programming language used by Infocom
to develop their excellent works of interactive fiction back in the
1980's. I was given permission to release this manual by Activision,
the current owners of the Infocom intellectual property.

_here_ being http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/zil.pdf

Learning ZIL
- or -
Everything You Always Wanted to Know
About Writing Interactive Fiction
But Couldn't Find Anyone Still Working Here to Ask
Copyright ©1989 Infocom, Inc.
For internal use only.
Comments to SEM
Conversion to Microsoft Word -- SEM -- 8/1/95

- Stu : Email via http://public.xdi.org/=stu

In article <0oe7h1tui057vivt4imsqndhsu96iebjhl@4ax.com>,
fakeaddress@fakedomain.com says...

> I've noticed the ZIL manual isnt in the IF-Archive (or certainly not
> in any easy place to find where I looked....)
>
> I would have thought it to have been in the archive for posterity...
>
> makes for interesting reading...
>
> if anyone wants to read it
>
> David Betz hosts it (david of drool, advsys, etc).
>
> http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/
>
> Here is a users guide to the ZIL programming language used by Infocom
> to develop their excellent works of interactive fiction back in the
> 1980's. I was given permission to release this manual by Activision,
> the current owners of the Infocom intellectual property.
>
> _here_ being http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/zil.pdf
>

> Learning ZIL
> - or -
> Everything You Always Wanted to Know
> About Writing Interactive Fiction
> But Couldn't Find Anyone Still Working Here to Ask
> Copyright ©1989 Infocom, Inc.
> For internal use only.
> Comments to SEM
> Conversion to Microsoft Word -- SEM -- 8/1/95
>

> - Stu : Email via http://public.xdi.org/=stu

Hi folks,

Any chance of this in TXT or does it rely on a lot of graphics?
--
Best

-James-

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:08:57 +0100, James Jolley said to the parser:

> Hi folks,
>
> Any chance of this in TXT or does it rely on a lot of graphics?

James,

TXT version is on its way to you via email.

--
Michael Coyne
http://turthalion.blogspot.com

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:52:19 GMT, Stu George
<fakeaddress@fakedomain.com> wrote:

>Here is a users guide to the ZIL programming language used by Infocom
>to develop their excellent works of interactive fiction back in the
>1980's. I was given permission to release this manual by Activision,
>the current owners of the Infocom intellectual property.
>
>_here_ being http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/zil.pdf

Wow! Very fun to look at. Thanks for pointing this out!

Michael Coyne <coyneAT@mtsdot.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:08:57 +0100, James Jolley said to the parser:

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Any chance of this in TXT or does it rely on a lot of graphics?

> James,

> TXT version is on its way to you via email.

I remember someone presented a test implementation of ZIL a year or so
ago. Does anyone here know its current status?

--
David Griffith

Stu George <fakeaddress@fakedomain.com> writes:

> I've noticed the ZIL manual isnt in the IF-Archive (or certainly not
> in any easy place to find where I looked....)
>
> I would have thought it to have been in the archive for posterity...

Maybe somebody should upload it to the archive; files don't usually
just appear there on their own... ;-)

--
Esa Peuha
student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki

On 31 Aug 2005 12:43:18 +0300, Esa A E Peuha <esa.peuha@helsinki.fi>
wrote:

>Stu George <fakeaddress@fakedomain.com> writes:
>
>> I've noticed the ZIL manual isnt in the IF-Archive (or certainly not
>> in any easy place to find where I looked....)
>>
>> I would have thought it to have been in the archive for posterity...
>
>Maybe somebody should upload it to the archive; files don't usually
>just appear there on their own... ;-)

i live in the mountains and get a roughly 20-24kbps dialup connection,
sometimes its not always prudent to be online for 5 hours trying
to upload a file :)

now, if you could convince them to lay adsl/cable out to where I live,
I'll upload it in every format know to man if you want :)

- Stu : Email via http://public.xdi.org/=stu

I just uploaded the pdf version to the Archive, in case no one else
reading this thread beat me to it. ;-)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:11:31 GMT, Stu George

Here, Josh Lawrence <jjsonick@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just uploaded the pdf version to the Archive, in case no one else
> reading this thread beat me to it. ;-)

Thanks, but I do want to contact David Betz and get more detail on "I
was given permission to release this manual by Activision".

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Here, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
> Here, Josh Lawrence <jjsonick@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I just uploaded the pdf version to the Archive, in case no one else
> > reading this thread beat me to it. ;-)
>
> Thanks, but I do want to contact David Betz and get more detail on "I
> was given permission to release this manual by Activision".

(Which I have now done. I'll report what he replies.)

--Z

*

"Josh Lawrence" <jjsonick@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:52:19 GMT, Stu George
> <fakeaddress@fakedomain.com> wrote:
>

>>Here is a users guide to the ZIL programming language used by Infocom
>>to develop their excellent works of interactive fiction back in the
>
> Wow! Very fun to look at. Thanks for pointing this out!

So what do you think, should we make a ZIL compiler and abandon
Inform? Good idea?

Kevin Venzke

Collin

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002

On 2005-08-30 20:17:53 -0700, Josh Lawrence <jjsonick@earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:52:19 GMT, Stu George
> <fakeaddress@fakedomain.com> wrote:
>

>> Here is a users guide to the ZIL programming language used by Infocom
>> to develop their excellent works of interactive fiction back in the
>> 1980's. I was given permission to release this manual by Activision,
>> the current owners of the Infocom intellectual property.
>>
>> _here_ being http://www.mv.com/ipusers/xlisper/zil.pdf
>>

> Wow! Very fun to look at. Thanks for pointing this out!

Oh this is too cool! I had no idea such a complete description of ZIL
existed. The only tidbits I'd seen prior to this were the concise
excerpts of MDL from MIT Zork in the old IEEE article. This, however,
is complete enough that you can really get a feel for how the language
worked and how Infocom's games were structured. It's also very
entertaining for a programming language primer. It's credited to SEM.
Steve Eric Meretzky perhaps?

- Collin

In article <pan.2005.08.30.13.36.15.281000@mtsDOT.net>,
coyneAT@mtsDOT.net says...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:08:57 +0100, James Jolley said to the parser:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Any chance of this in TXT or does it rely on a lot of graphics?
>
> James,
>
> TXT version is on its way to you via email.

Hi Mike,

I did email you but not sure it got through. Thanks for it and i'll give
it a look and see how it works with screen access programs.

--
Best

-James-

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:05:09 GMT, "Kevin Venzke" <stepjakk@yahooo.frr>
wrote:

>So what do you think, should we make a ZIL compiler and abandon
>Inform? Good idea?
>
>Kevin Venzke

Well, I imagine a 64K or 128K ZIL comp or challenge, if possible, and
if enough people were interested, could be fun, even as a one-time
thing.

There are some holes in the manual - the section on NPCs (Actors)
ends abruptly, there's several sections marked "Stu, I think you
should write this" and the chapter on compiling your game is
conspicously blank - but there seems to be enough there that a decent
ZIL game could be made, if compiling tools were available.

For some perverse reason I would really like to write a game in ZIL,
even just one time. Then perhaps I could move on to a complete game
in Inform. ;)

Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> Here, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
> > Here, Josh Lawrence <jjsonick@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > I just uploaded the pdf version to the Archive, in case no one else
> > > reading this thread beat me to it. ;-)
> >
> > Thanks, but I do want to contact David Betz and get more detail on "I
> > was given permission to release this manual by Activision".
>
> (Which I have now done. I'll report what he replies.)
>
> --Z
>
> "And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
> *
> I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Perhaps someone might also question him on the mysterious whereabouts
of chapters 15 and 16...