XP Home updates-use or not to use?

I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having problems
on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount of
people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms updates?

I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course you
don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc etc.

I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give me
more confidence in using updates.
Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.

Thanks for any advise.

Geoff

Yes, my computer uses all the required (not optional) updates and works
fine.
"Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having
> problems
> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount
> of
> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms
> updates?
>
> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course
> you
> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc etc.
>
> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give
> me
> more confidence in using updates.
> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Geoff

Geoff;
Generally you should install all Critical Updates.
Install Recommended Updates after you have researched them and determined
you need the specific update.
Do not get driver Updates from Microsoft. Instead get drivers directly from
the hardware manufacturer.

Nothing can guarantee any software or patches will not cause problems.
With any software, patch etc, there will be a % of issues created.
With software most issues are prevented by following manufacturers
recommendations as well as a computer free of problems.
Updates are already designed for Windows so you need to keep your computer
free of viruses, spyware and other malware.
A well taken care of computer is less likely to have problems related to
updates.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having
> problems
> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount
> of
> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms
> updates?
>
> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course
> you
> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc etc.
>
> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give
> me
> more confidence in using updates.
> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Geoff

kelly

No list, but relatively speaking.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having
> problems
> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount
> of
> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms
> updates?
>
> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course
> you
> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc etc.
>
> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give
> me
> more confidence in using updates.
> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Geoff

kelly

That is your system. Stick around longer and you will see the havoc

"youllneverguess" <brianconnerremovethis@mail2web.net> wrote in message
> Yes, my computer uses all the required (not optional) updates and works
> fine.
> "Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
>> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having
>> problems
>> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount
>> of
>> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms
>> updates?
>>
>> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course
>> you
>> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc
>> etc.
>>
>> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give
>> me
>> more confidence in using updates.
>> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>>
>> Thanks for any advise.
>>
>> Geoff

Thanks Kelly and Jupiter jones,

Both of you have good thoughts.

yep, i agreed Kelly, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But also with Jupiter Jones that some critial only updates could be required
and to get drivers from manufactures. but do some research.

Might do a bit of both.

Thanks

Geoff

"Geof" wrote:

> I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having problems
> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount of
> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms updates?
>
> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course you
> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc etc.
>
> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give me
> more confidence in using updates.
> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Geoff

kelly

No, no and more no. I totally disagree in peace. :eek:)

--

> Geoff;
> Generally you should install all Critical Updates.
> Install Recommended Updates after you have researched them and determined
> you need the specific update.
> Do not get driver Updates from Microsoft. Instead get drivers directly
> from the hardware manufacturer.
>
> Nothing can guarantee any software or patches will not cause problems.
> With any software, patch etc, there will be a % of issues created.
> With software most issues are prevented by following manufacturers
> recommendations as well as a computer free of problems.
> Updates are already designed for Windows so you need to keep your computer
> free of viruses, spyware and other malware.
> A well taken care of computer is less likely to have problems related to
> updates.
>
> Also see:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have purchased a new Dell pc with xp home already installed. Although I
>> know xp updates are necessary for protection etc. but after having
>> problems
>> on another pc (with xp pro updates) and also reading forums on the amount
>> of
>> people having problems after updates, I wonder is it worth using ms
>> updates?
>>
>> I know you can pick and choose which updates to put on pc but of course
>> you
>> don't know which ones may cause pc to slow, not open programs etc etc
>> etc.
>>
>> I suppose my question is wanting some answers to satisfy my mind and give
>> me
>> more confidence in using updates.
>> Also is there a list of which updates to choice and which not to choice.
>>
>> Thanks for any advise.
>>
>> Geoff

That's Ok Kelly, as long as we can remain friends and still disagree.
If not then you are............................ :eek:)

But if you totally disagree, you do suggest getting updated drivers from
Microsoft instead of the manufacturer?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> No, no and more no. I totally disagree in peace. :eek:)
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Geoff;
>> Generally you should install all Critical Updates.
>> Install Recommended Updates after you have researched them and determined
>> you need the specific update.
>> Do not get driver Updates from Microsoft. Instead get drivers directly
>> from the hardware manufacturer.
>>
>> Nothing can guarantee any software or patches will not cause problems.
>> With any software, patch etc, there will be a % of issues created.
>> With software most issues are prevented by following manufacturers
>> recommendations as well as a computer free of problems.
>> Updates are already designed for Windows so you need to keep your
>> computer free of viruses, spyware and other malware.
>> A well taken care of computer is less likely to have problems related to
>> updates.
>>
>> Also see:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org

kelly

All kewl there, Matt. As for the latter: I do not totally disagree in
other words.... I "do" totally disagree with users getting drivers from MS,
rather than the manufacturer. Does that help? :eek:)

--

> That's Ok Kelly, as long as we can remain friends and still disagree.
> If not then you are............................ :eek:)
>
> But if you totally disagree, you do suggest getting updated drivers from
> Microsoft instead of the manufacturer?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

>> No, no and more no. I totally disagree in peace. :eek:)
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Geoff;
>>> Generally you should install all Critical Updates.
>>> Install Recommended Updates after you have researched them and
>>> determined you need the specific update.
>>> Do not get driver Updates from Microsoft. Instead get drivers directly
>>> from the hardware manufacturer.
>>>
>>> Nothing can guarantee any software or patches will not cause problems.
>>> With any software, patch etc, there will be a % of issues created.
>>> With software most issues are prevented by following manufacturers
>>> recommendations as well as a computer free of problems.
>>> Updates are already designed for Windows so you need to keep your
>>> computer free of viruses, spyware and other malware.
>>> A well taken care of computer is less likely to have problems related to
>>> updates.
>>>
>>> Also see:
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm
>>>
>>> --