The Adventure Gamer's Manual (By Bob Redrup) spotted on eBay

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,rec.arts.int-fiction (More info?)

Sorry for the crosspost but things like this are not available very often...

I'm not selling this item, but as this is an essential, classic and
extremely rare work on IF I had to post that a copy is available.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZnudelooney
(It's at the bottom)

<Quote>
The Adventure Gamer's Manual
by Bob Redrup

This is an extremely rare book - I don't think I've ever seen it on
E-bay, and I certainly spent a long time looking!

Bob Redrup wrote under the name of "The Mad Hatter" in The Micro User
magazine, doing a monthly column on adventure gaming (and Elite) on the
BBC and Archimedes computers. This is his complete guide to adventure
gaming: it touches on aspects like:

* History of adventure games
* Types of adventures
* Getting started playing adventures
* Looking for clues
* The parser
* Opening moves of some popular games
* Mapping techniques
* Mazes
* Assorted puzzles
* Graphical adventures
* Writing your own game
* Lots of tips!

This book is exceptionally difficult to come by - it is long out of
print, not all that many were printed, and Bob Redrup (a vicar in
Cornwall) passed away some years ago.

Adventure games are a huge and daunting topic, and are a firm part of
the history of computers and computer games - right back to Colossal
Cave. To produce a book which makes such an outstanding job of
documenting it's many facets is no easy task, but this book does it!

If you are at all interested in the history of computers and computer
games, have fond memories of Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9 and the
like or just collect rare books ... you'll want this one!

The book was published in 1992 - which makes it thirteen years old! It
seems to be an ex-library book, but is in excellent condition in spite
of that.
</quote>

Jon Ripley
--
http://jonripley.com/

Jon Ripley <news@jonripley.com> writes:

> The Adventure Gamer's Manual
> by Bob Redrup

> This book is exceptionally difficult to come by - it is long out of
> print, not all that many were printed, and Bob Redrup (a vicar in
> Cornwall) passed away some years ago.

Looks like abebooks.com has a copy listed as well (in an Australian
bookshop). This book actually sounds like it would be worth the trouble
to find out who currently owns the copyright, and ask their permission
to have it freely available for download. Unfortunately Google doesn't
seem to find anything useful.

--
Esa Peuha
student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki

On 01 Sep 2005 15:27:34 +0300, Esa A E Peuha wrote:

> This book actually sounds like it would be worth the trouble
> to find out who currently owns the copyright, and ask their permission
> to have it freely available for download.

The author is probably the best contact. He may not own the publication
rights, but he can probably provide a pointer or take care of the matter.
bobredrup@aol.com, perhaps? (Might be someone completely different, but age
and occupation seem fitting. *grin*)

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On 01 Sep 2005 15:27:34 +0300, Esa A E Peuha wrote:
>

>>This book actually sounds like it would be worth the trouble
>>to find out who currently owns the copyright, and ask their permission
>>to have it freely available for download.
>
> The author is probably the best contact. He may not own the publication
> rights, but he can probably provide a pointer or take care of the matter.
> bobredrup@aol.com, perhaps? (Might be someone completely different, but age
> and occupation seem fitting. *grin*)

Unfortunately Bob Redrub, the author died several years ago.

The book was published by Sigma Press in Wilmslow, UK.

ISBN 1-85058-253-X.

Jon Ripley
--
http://jonripley.com/

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:27:14 GMT, Jon Ripley wrote:

> Unfortunately Bob Redrub, the author died several years ago.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know, obviously. :/

M.