Sign in with
Your question

Good IDE controller card for 200GB HD

Last response: in Storage
December 8, 2004 7:01:40 AM

Hi, I'm buying a IDE controller card, because my new 200GB seagate isn't recongnized by Windows XP. I've tried service pack 1, 2, various patches, and updating the mobo bios. It shows up ok in the bios, but Windows refuses to see it as 200GB. So I'm guessing (but don't know) that it is a limitation of the mobo (Abit KG7-RAID).

Can anyone recommend a cheap IDE controller they've used that can handle 137GB+ HDs?

Also, I have a Highpoint Raid controller built into my motherboard. Will that cause any conflicts with a IDE controller card? Thanks!
December 8, 2004 7:55:36 AM

Boot BIOS conflicts between different controllers are a common problem. Some motherboard BIOS' have the ability to set the added-on controller independantly, others group the onboard add-on controller with SCSI. You know your BIOS better than I do.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 9, 2004 3:30:36 PM

get the promise pci/ide controller card, supports over 137Gb drives, 42 bucks from newegg.com, will do the trick nicely...
Related resources
December 10, 2004 5:50:21 AM

I really don't know my bios all that well... not sure how to tell. What precautions can I take to make sure the new controller won't conflict with the current onboard raid controller? Should I just buy, then trouble shoot? Or is there a way to avoid problems?
December 10, 2004 6:15:12 AM

In all likelyhood it WILL interfere with the boot order given your RAID controller BIOS; Unless your system BIOS list the RAID controller separately from other bootable cards (system BIOS treats IDE cards as SCSI) in the boot order, you will have a problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 10, 2004 8:10:12 AM

I couldn't find the raid controller in the mobo bios. There is a seperate bios for the raid controller, that I can access after the standard bios in startup (by pushing ctrl+h I think). Is this what you are talking about by listed separately from other bootable cards?

BTW, don't know if it makes a difference, but the system drive is not on the RAID controller.

If its certain that there will be a conflict, then what options are available? Can I disable the onboard RAID controller somehow? How can I go about using 5-6 HDs in one system?
December 10, 2004 8:28:17 AM

Maybe you can disable the RAID controller. Here's the deal:

You set your motherboard to boot off the device you want it to boot from in main BIOS. For example, if you want it to boot off the main controller, you pick that. If you want it to boot off the RAID controller, you pick that. If you want it to boot off the IDE card, you pick that.

The problem is, some main BIOS will only have the option to boot from IDE1 or SCSI. Or IDE1 or SATA/SCSI. Since these boards are treating the onboard RAID the same as an add-in card, you'll have two devices fighting for priority.

On the other hand, your board might have the options IDE1, RAID, SCSI. As in, differentiating between the add-in card or the onboard controller.

Yeh, you have the other options, CD-ROM, Floppy, Network, etc. I was only refering to hard drives.

It's really up to you to figure out if your main BIOS has the boot orders differentiated between the onboard RAID controller and add-in cards (treated by BIOS as SCSI cards). And if it doesn't have that option, it would be up to you to figure out how to disable the RAID controller.

If you did disable the RAID controller, you could always put 4 drives on the card and the rest of the drives on the chipset's IDE controller.

December 10, 2004 10:45:46 AM

Ok, I see. In the bios, the options for first boot device include (among other things);

HDD-0
HDD-1
" "
" "
SCSI
ATA100RAID

It did not have IDE1 as an option. But I am guessing that because it listed RAID as an option, that it can differentiate between the onboard RAID and add-in cards. Does this mean that it is safe to buy a IDE controller card?

Another question, and actually a more important one... do you think this will fix my problem with WinXP only recognizing 128GB of the HD? The 200GB shows up correctly in the bios when connected to the onboard RAID or onboard IDE, but is not recognized correctly in WinXP Pro, SP1 or 2. I tried updating mobo bios, RAID bios, various patches microsoft recommended for this problem, but no luck. Would you guess that the mobo/onboard controllers are to blame? And do you think that a new IDE card will fix the problems?
December 10, 2004 2:38:19 PM

HDD0 is what I was refering to with the onboard drive controller. And since your BIOS does offer the options to boot from ATA100RAID or SCSI, you shouldn't have problems with an IDE card.

As for the 200GB drive not showing up correctly in XP, SP1 was supposed to fix that, so long as your BIOS could support the large drive. Are you certain motherboard BIOS or the RAID controller BIOS are seeing the drive at full capacity?

December 10, 2004 5:34:22 PM

Yes, the HD is displayed correctly both in the mobo, and RAID bios when connected to IDE or RAID controller.
December 11, 2004 2:34:47 AM

I've also tried reinstalling windows btw. I'm not sure how it could possibly be a software problem... but I don't know
!