It ain't Coke but is this the real thing?

Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.

https://connect.microsoft.com

Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing expedition
by some very talented hackers...

It's a legitimate site.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
> Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com
>
> Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
> friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
> the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
> expedition
> by some very talented hackers...

Your friend probably has updated his/her machine.

"HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
> Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com
>
> Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
> friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
> the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
> expedition
> by some very talented hackers...

Thanks for the info folks. Very much appreciated! Now if I could only get
my mitts on that long horned beta bovine (hmmm... sort of sound like Yosimite
Sam there ;-}...)
"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It's a legitimate site.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
> > Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
> >
> > https://connect.microsoft.com
> >
> > Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
> > friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
> > the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
> > expedition
> > by some very talented hackers...

kelly

What are you calling a library system? As for the bells, how exactly did
the messages read?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
> Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com
>
> Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
> friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
> the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
> expedition
> by some very talented hackers...

Sadly I didn't get access to Longhorn yet. Lookinf forward to it though as
I did have a blast doing the prerelease testing on XP Pro a few years back.

The library system I was referring to was one running IE6 at the library at
our office. My friends system was running the latest edition of Firefox. It
said, "Unable to verift the identity of connect.microsoft.com as atrusted
site. It went on to say that may be somebody pretending to be microsoft.com.

That made me wonder what I was getting into...

"Kelly" wrote:

> What are you calling a library system? As for the bells, how exactly did
> the messages read?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
> > Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
> >
> > https://connect.microsoft.com
> >
> > Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
> > friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity of
> > the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
> > expedition
> > by some very talented hackers...

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Did that somebody happen to include an invitation code for the beta in the
Email?

"HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5FF864F8-2C82-4706-A35E-DF252F389324@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the info folks. Very much appreciated! Now if I could only
> get
> my mitts on that long horned beta bovine (hmmm... sort of sound like
> Yosimite
> Sam there ;-}...)
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It's a legitimate site.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
>> > Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
>> >
>> > https://connect.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
>> > friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the validity
>> > of
>> > the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
>> > expedition
>> > by some very talented hackers...

kelly

Why, did you get one, looking for one or is this just a comment?

--

"SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
> Did that somebody happen to include an invitation code for the beta in the
> Email?
>
> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:5FF864F8-2C82-4706-A35E-DF252F389324@microsoft.com...
>> Thanks for the info folks. Very much appreciated! Now if I could only
>> get
>> my mitts on that long horned beta bovine (hmmm... sort of sound like
>> Yosimite
>> Sam there ;-}...)
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> It's a legitimate site.
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

I hope you are successful, and since you tested XP, perhaps you will
be able to get them to include one of the free spell checkers this time
so we don't have thousands of posts saying "my spell checker doesn't work".
And also, see if you can get back to the Win 98 method of de-selecting
stuff we don't want loaded during setup. And, ....oh never mind, the list
of things to change is too long to cover here.

"HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:87BCB9CF-CB7F-439A-82F5-DCBD47EC6354@microsoft.com...
| Sadly I didn't get access to Longhorn yet. Lookinf forward to it though
as
| I did have a blast doing the prerelease testing on XP Pro a few years
back.

| The library system I was referring to was one running IE6 at the library
at
| our office. My friends system was running the latest edition of Firefox.
It
| said, "Unable to verift the identity of connect.microsoft.com as atrusted
| site. It went on to say that may be somebody pretending to be
microsoft.com.

| That made me wonder what I was getting into...
|
| "Kelly" wrote:
|
| > What are you calling a library system? As for the bells, how exactly
did
| > the messages read?
| >
| > --
| >
| > All the Best,
| > Kelly (MS-MVP)
| >
| > Troubleshooting Windows XP
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
| >

| > "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| > message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...
| > > Had somebody flip me this url as a sign-up site for Longhorn Beta.
| > >
| > > https://connect.microsoft.com
| > >
| > > Looked authentic at first on a library system but when I ran it on a
| > > friend's PC alarm bells started to go off everywhere about the
validity of
| > > the security certificate. So is this place real of just a phishing
| > > expedition
| > > by some very talented hackers...

Thanks Leonard! I'll look right into that..:-}.
And as for spell checkers, if they're so great, why don't witches use 'em?

"Leonard" wrote:

> I hope you are successful, and since you tested XP, perhaps you will
> be able to get them to include one of the free spell checkers this time
> so we don't have thousands of posts saying "my spell checker doesn't work".
> And also, see if you can get back to the Win 98 method of de-selecting
> stuff we don't want loaded during setup. And, ....oh never mind, the list
> of things to change is too long to cover here.
>
> "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:87BCB9CF-CB7F-439A-82F5-DCBD47EC6354@microsoft.com...
> | Sadly I didn't get access to Longhorn yet. Lookinf forward to it though
> as
> | I did have a blast doing the prerelease testing on XP Pro a few years
> back.
> |
> | The library system I was referring to was one running IE6 at the library
> at
> | our office. My friends system was running the latest edition of Firefox.
> It
> | said, "Unable to verift the identity of connect.microsoft.com as atrusted
> | site. It went on to say that may be somebody pretending to be
> microsoft.com.
> |

> | That made me wonder what I was getting into...
> |
> | "Kelly" wrote:
> |
> | > What are you calling a library system? As for the bells, how exactly
> did
> | > the messages read?
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > All the Best,
> | > Kelly (MS-MVP)
> | >
> | > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> | > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> | >

> | > "HagarTheHorrible" <HagarTheHorrible@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> | > message news:CFED1F3E-097F-4FD6-B669-C6AED7D405E8@microsoft.com...

> validity of

OK... now this is interesting. IE6 on my home system is now flashing me the
same warnings as Firefox did for my friend.