Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Hello everyone, I am looking for a few beta-testers for a game I recently
finished. It is a short game, so it should not take too much of your time.
The game is a 2k Comp entry and it is written in Java, so you will need to
have the Java runtime installed to run it. It has a good parser, html
presentation and the game world is well described. If you're interested in
giving it a try, please e-mail me at "yahoo.gr", my username is "cstogian".
Any little help you can give me will be welcome.

Thank you,

Christos.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I've begun to test this game, it's very rich and interesting, and the
parser seems to be well done too, because apart for a few missing verbs,
I can't find any flaws.

So I recommend everyone to give it a try !

Christos Stogiannopoulos a écrit :
> Hello everyone, I am looking for a few beta-testers for a game I recently
> finished. It is a short game, so it should not take too much of your time.
> The game is a 2k Comp entry and it is written in Java, so you will need to
> have the Java runtime installed to run it. It has a good parser, html
> presentation and the game world is well described. If you're interested in
> giving it a try, please e-mail me at "yahoo.gr", my username is "cstogian".
> Any little help you can give me will be welcome.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Christos.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:06:42 -0700, Daniel Dawson <He Whose Email
Address is Also Available to Robots> wrote:

> You pick up and read article <df4k4r$gm1$1@usenet.otenet.gr>, written by
> Christos Stogiannopoulos <He Whose Email Address is Available to Robots>. It
> says:
>>giving it a try, please e-mail me at "yahoo.gr", my username is "cstogian".
>
> Shunning spam? Better figure out how to tell Yahoo not to broadcast it in the
> message headers!

Looking at headers? Better figure out how to tell what they're saying!

The OP is not posting through Yahoo, merely using a Yahoo email address.
He is posting through otenet.gr and, as they clearly don't require a valid
email address, he needs to either figure out how to change his email
address in his news client - apparently Outlook Express 6 - or, ideally,
ditch Outlook and use a better client, setting up a munged email address
to start with.

Also, take a look at your own headers. In particular the Originator line.
It's not one that most harvesters will be looking at, but I'm sure there's
more than a few that will.

--
James <He Whose Email Address Is Already Way Too Public> Mitchelhill
james@disorderfeed.net

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:47:21 -0700, Daniel Dawson wrote:

>>Also, take a look at your own headers. In particular the Originator line.
>>It's not one that most harvesters will be looking at, but I'm sure there's
>>more than a few that will.
>
> Aha! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm now attempting to get inews to omit the
> header. (Why an environment variable?)
>
> While on the subject, do you think replacing '@' with ' at ' is adequate
> protection?

It all depends on your level of paranoia. It's cheaper in bandwidth for
harvesters to download headers rather than bodies, although bandwidth is
cheap these days. It would be fairly simple for a program to reconstruct
your email address as it's currently obscured.

I've decided that obscuring email addresses is catering to the whims of
spammers, so I post mine plain and send abuse reports about spam that I
receive. If you do want to hide yours, though, it's a trade-off between
the ease that someone can reply to you and the difficulty that you want to
cause to harvesters. I suspect that including a link to an image of your
email address would confound the robots (bonus points for included the
address of a well known spammer as part of the link). But this also
confounds people who read news offline, those who have a newsfeed but can
only access whitelisted sites over http, and the visually impaired.

I did this once or twice before I decided it was silly:

--
James Mitchelhill
site: http://disorderfeed.net

James Mitchelhill wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:47:21 -0700, Daniel Dawson wrote:
>>While on the subject, do you think replacing '@' with ' at ' is adequate
>>protection?
>
> It all depends on your level of paranoia. It's cheaper in bandwidth for
> harvesters to download headers rather than bodies, although bandwidth is
> cheap these days. It would be fairly simple for a program to reconstruct
> your email address as it's currently obscured.

My technique is simple yet devious.

As I already receive between 400 and 2,000 spam a day anyways and am
probably on all the lists already I don't even bother hiding my address.
My email provider has aggressive spam labelling and all my mail comes
via SpamAssasin, MailScanner and ProcMail, roughly two spam a day manage
to reach my inbox.

Any additional spam that get sent to me as a result of using my real
email address on usenet will probably never arrive in my inbox; false
positives only occur a couple of times a year.

Have fun,
Jon Ripley
--
http://jonripley.com/